OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

main(smarty/Smarty.class.php): failed to open stream

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

main(smarty/Smarty.class.php): failed to open stream

Postby shahul » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:33 pm

I am new to this column. Yesterday, I downloaded OJS, unzipped the file, and uploaded the files and folders to my website, http://www.clinicalpsychology.in/journal . However, when I try to open the home page to install OJS, I get the following message:

Warning: main(smarty/Smarty.class.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/clinical/public_html/journal/classes/template/TemplateManager.inc.php on line 20

Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required 'smarty/Smarty.class.php' (include_path='.:/home/clinical/public_html/journal/includes:/home/clinical/public_html/journal/classes:/home/clinical/public_html/journal/pages:/home/clinical/public_html/journal/lib:/home/clinical/public_html/journal/lib/smarty:.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/clinical/public_html/journal/classes/template/TemplateManager.inc.php on line 20

Please explain to me, in simplest terms, what next should I be doing.
shahul

Postby asmecher » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:28 am

Hello Shahul,

It looks like your installation is incomplete. Please verify that you uploaded all the files correctly; at least one (lib/smarty/Smarty.class.php) is missing.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Thank you, but there are more problems...

Postby shahul » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:46 am

Dear Alec,

Thanks a lot for the reply, and it helped me. I successfully installed OJS in my server (I also learned how to write some of the folders wrtieable!!). But, now when I open the home page I get a long list of errors (please see http://www.clinicalpsychology.in/journal/). The message is:

Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in /home/clinical/public_html/journal/classes/db/DAO.inc.php on line 46

Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in /home/clinical/public_html/journal/classes/session/SessionDAO.inc.php on line 39

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home/clinical/public_html/journal/classes/db/DAO.inc.php:46) in /home/clinical/public_html/journal/classes/session/SessionManager.inc.php on line 56

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/clinical/public_html/journal/classes/db/DAO.inc.php:46) in /home/clinical/public_html/journal/classes/session/SessionManager.inc.php on line 56

Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in /home/clinical/public_html/journal/classes/core/DataObject.inc.php on line 44

Notice: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/clinical/public_html/journal/index.php on line 36

Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in /home/clinical/public_html/journal/classes/db/DAO.inc.php on line 46

Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in /home/clinical/public_html/journal/lib/adodb/drivers/adodb-mysql.inc.php on line 604

Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in /home/clinical/public_html/journal/classes/site/SiteDAO.inc.php on line 41

Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in /home/clinical/public_html/journal/classes/core/DataObject.inc.php on line 44

Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in /home/clinical/public_html/journal/lib/adodb/drivers/adodb-mysql.inc.php on line 604

Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in /home/clinical/public_html/journal/classes/site/SiteDAO.inc.php on line 41

Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in /home/clinical/public_html/journal/classes/journal/JournalDAO.inc.php on line 194

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/clinical/public_html/journal/classes/db/DAO.inc.php:46) in /home/clinical/public_html/journal/classes/template/TemplateManager.inc.php on line 152

I am sorry I really sound as a newbie, but I am eagerly waiting for a solution...
shahul

Postby shahul » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:53 am

Well, I found the solution at viewtopic.php?t=401&highlight=notice+variable+references+returned+reference

I changed the error_reporting level in includes/driver.inc.php from "E_ALL" to "E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE"

The Journal is working fine now.

Thank you all.
shahul

Postby asmecher » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:09 pm

Hi Shahul,

The problems causing those messages are corrected in OJS 2.0.2; however, the solution you found works as well. (Note that there are many new features and bug fixes in 2.0.2.)

Regards,
Alec
asmecher

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion