OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Editorial Team with "ghosts"

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Editorial Team with "ghosts"

Postby luiz_borges » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:54 pm

I have a setup with many journals where not all the journals have all editorial team members are registered users of the platform. As such, we as administrators have to create fake ghost users to add them to the Editorial Team.

Is there a way to add non-users to the Editorial Team without creating fake users?

Another option is use a custom static page, but for that I need a way to redirect or even hide the Editorial Team link, as it will be blank but still showing under People. If I can do that, I might just create a static page with the Editorial Team members and put it in the navigation bar.

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas on how to deal with that?

Luiz Borges

PS: No, the full editorial board will not register in the system. :?
PS2: I can't edit the templates since that would mess up with journals that DO USE the Editorial Team correctly.
luiz_borges

Re: Editorial Team with "ghosts"

Postby jmacgreg » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:56 pm

Hi Luiz,

Unfortunately, you can't currently add non-enrolled users to the Masthead, and so you will have to stick with the practice of creating ghost users. Folks commonly do this, and get by the email requirement by adding a fake/garbage email address to the user registration field. I've filed this as a bug report, however: http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=4508. Please feel free to CC yourself to that request.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby luiz_borges » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:22 pm

Thanks for the reply.

They (the university I work) have been creating ghost users since we started using OJS, now that I started to work there I'm trying to eliminate some bad practices and optimize the work.

Since we are inserting old issues of some journals, very few authors have accounts, some of them are already dead. The e-mail requirement for author is a big stopper, even more when we consider that it is used only for editorial contact (it is not publicly available), and that very editor is inserting the articles.

Luiz Borges
luiz_borges

Postby vlilloh » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:09 pm

It would be nice to have a solution for members of the Editorial Team without email.

Cheers.
vlilloh

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion