OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

importing users with multiple interests and roles

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

importing users with multiple interests and roles

Postby jlaherty » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:27 pm

Hi,
If you want to import a user who indicates multiple interests, how is this accomplished? I've tried putting the multiple interests in one XML element, as in

<interests>health sciences, epidemiology, public health</interests> (with spaces between interests separated by commas).

I've also tried putting in one <interests> element per interest, as in
<interests>health sciences</interests>
<interests>epidemiology</interests>

But in both cases, the only interest that gets imported is the first one. Any idea of what I'm doing incorrectly?

Same problem with importing users designated with multiple roles -- how is that accomplished?

Thank you!
Jennifer
jlaherty

Re: importing users with multiple interests and roles

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:21 am

Hi Jennifer,

You can specify roles by entering new elements per role, ie. to add a user as an Author and a Copyeditor, you would add the following:

Code: Select all
<role type="author"/>
<role type="copyeditor"/>

However, for reviewing interests you add them all to one element, ie.:

<interests>interest one; interest two; etc.</interest>

It shouldn't matter whether you are using semi-colons or commas to distinguish between interests; but if you are still finding that they are getting truncated, just let us know.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby jlaherty » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:54 am

Hi again,
I'm back at this a long year later and seem to be having one last problem getting the XML correct for the role=reader. Here's what I'm generating from Excel:

<user>
<first_name>Sofry Liliana </first_name>
<last_name>Agape</last_name>
<username>liliana.agape</username>
<locales>Español</locales>
<password>reid_journal</password>
<affiliation>Universidad Libre De Colombia</affiliation>
<biography>Estudiante Universitario</biography>
<country>CO</country>
<interests>Investigación sociojurídica</interests>
<email>liliana.agape@gmail.com</email>
<phone>3107860324</phone>
<type>reader</type>
</user>

It seems to me I don't have the right syntax for 'reader'. Can you please help? I'm actually not sure I have the right syntax for Working Language (locales) either.

Many thanks,
Jennifer
jlaherty

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:59 pm

Hi Jennifer,

For including roles, you want the following syntax:

<role type="reader"/>

For locales, the following would be correct:

<locales>es_ES:en_US</locales>

... so you have to include the locale as the appropriate country/language code, rather than as the full locale name. You can separate locales with a colon.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion