OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Using Paypal for Paper submission fees

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Re: Using Paypal for Paper submission fees

Postby jalperin » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:15 pm

Rick,

Can you PM me the path to your OJS installation and to your paypal developer account (not your real paypal account).
jalperin

Postby RickMath » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:11 pm

Juan

Some mixed news using Sandbox.

If I log in as an author, I can submit and make a payment. This is picked up in my seller account in the Sandbox. But it appears that OJS is not picking it up and letting me go beyond the page with the payment. The continue button does though take me to a buy now screen at Sandbox where I can pay using the buyer account and the seller account picks it up. Then when I return to JAMT, OJS still tells me that I have not paid. I will leave OJS where it is right now if you want to try the process.

Just no interaction with OJS and Sandbox. I tried to simulate an IPN using Sandbox and the URL that the Pay submission fee page at OJS has in the source code.

When I list the submitted papers for the author there is a line on the right that says Pay Submission Fee. When I click on that, I get a blank Sandbox page.

Just thought I'd update you on the status. I can send you the test user infor by PM or you can try it with your user id.

I'll let you know the progress. At least there is some. I guess others are also having problems with Sandbox too as I have read many posts on this. I'm trying not to get frustrated because I know a solution will eventually reveal itself. I am bound and determined to keep trying so other may benefits from the experience.

Rick :D
RickMath

Postby RickMath » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:53 pm

Just to let everyone know. Sandbox does not work well with OJS. As a matter of fact it does not work at all.

I finally just went live with the submission fee and sucessfully made a test payment. It showed up in the records.

For those of you that need to know. When you set the IPN at your paypal account, just check the IPN box and make sure that nothing is in the URL box. For me it defaulted the http:// and until I had enough sense to delete the http:// and leave the box blank it finally worked. OJS seems to send a url to paypal and it responds. Set the payment to a small amount late at night and try it. You can always credit yourself and absorb the 3.9% fee. Then change it back to what you want to go live.

We never could find the path that OJS sends but in looking at the tables in our MySQL database the payment was found.

Neither the OJS documentation or the PayPal documentation is correct on this issue. Fortunaely through some experimentation and using the post by others we were able to work this out. I will post another reply with the name of the MySQL table to look in soon.

Looks like we have finally found a resolution.

Finally this is not a criticism of OJS but of PayPal. Seems that with as many journals that are hosted using OJS and using PayPal that PayPal could provide a better solution for testing. My humble opinion as a newbie here is that PayPal is not delivering as promised.

Rick :D
RickMath

Postby RickMath » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:57 pm

The partial information is stored in pay_transactions in MySQL
RickMath

Postby jalperin » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:08 pm

Rick,

Thanks for posting your experience here. I should point out that the sandbox used to work in previous versions (i.e. when the plugin was developed, almost 2 years ago). There must be a new way of testing with the sandbox now.

In any case, I am happy to hear that the plugin is working as expected once you go live.
jalperin

Postby solty » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:46 am

Hi,
I was activated PayPal subscription.
I was receive normal subscription mail notification from PayPal without any problem.

IPN URL*. https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr
Seller Account: Registered mail...
IPN: on...

In the "Records" section I was not see all subscription information same the PayPal.
There are lost subscription names... And I was not see automatic added names in the "Individual Subscriptions" section except for 1 (one) subscription but I have 5 subscription in the PayPal ( I was add manually).

Any suggestion?
solty

Postby michael » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:58 pm

Hi Solty,

The Payments page will only list Paypal payments that correspond to subscriptions that were purchased or renewed online by the user.

If you add the subscription manually or renew it manually, there will not be a corresponding record on the Payments page.

Cheers,
Michael
michael

Postby solty » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:53 pm

Many thanks James.
solty

Previous

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion