OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Using Paypal for Paper submission fees

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Using Paypal for Paper submission fees

Postby RickMath » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:22 am

I have some questions regarding setting up Paypal in OJS and the IPN to enter at Paypal.

If I understand the documentation in OJS in an Hour that on the OJS Paypal setting page the IPN URL should be https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr Is this correct?

Second Paypal told me that the Notification URL should be at my website. I guess somewhere in a path that Starts with http://www.jamt-online.org/OJS/ ........

I thought I had read somewhere how to set this path, but I can't seem to find it now.

Please advise on the above.

Thanks so much.

Rick
RickMath

Re: Using Paypal for Paper submission fees

Postby RickMath » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:02 pm

Can someone please help me with this. I am under the gun to get our journal lanuched by next week and it need to include the paypal payment requirement for submission.
RickMath

Postby RickMath » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:47 am

One other item related to this. On the payment method page just below where you set up the PayPal URL and Account Information the following appears.

Warning: CURL support for PHP is not installed. PayPal payment support requires the CURL library and will not function until it is installed.

We need further clarification on how to set this up and where to find the CURL library.

Thanks

Rick
RickMath

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:02 am

Hi Rick,

You can find information on installing CURL support for PHP with a quick google search -- and that's something you'll likely have to bring up with your service provider to have installed.

Once you have that figured out and have taken a look at the Paypal plugin configuration options, let us know if you have other questions.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby RickMath » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:21 pm

James

Thanks. A remaining question though. What path on the server beyond http://www.jamt-online.org/OJS/ should I enter at paypal to connect to our server. I guess it's where the payment records are stored, but I can't seem to figure out where.

There is a table called paypal_transactions in the database. Would that be the place to direct it? Does not seem however to have all the fields that paypal may return.

Appreciate your help and advice on this.

Rick
RickMath

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:56 pm

Hi Rick,

See viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2058&start=0 (specific to OCS, but also relevant for OJS).

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby RickMath » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:26 pm

OK I looked at the OCS link. Sems like the concensus is to leave the URL at PayPal blank. Has this worked for everyone. I just would like for paypal to update the payment records on our site.

Do I still need to implement CURL? Has anyone had to do this to get paypal to communicate the payment records.

Seems like if curl is needed it should be included in the patches for OJS 2.2.2 Maybe that is another discussion point.

Anyway, our journal site is working well so far. OJS is a great system and you all do a great job in managing it and communcating with us. Keep up the great work. I know it is not easy answering all these questions from us neophytes.

Thanks for keeping in touch.

Rick :D
RickMath

Postby RickMath » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:37 pm

We now have curl installed on our server. I am testing the system using Sandbox. In order to use the IPN from paypal it requires a url on our server. Beyond the url http://(mydomain)/OJS where do I need to direct the IPN to? In other words, what is the correct path beyond /OJS/ for the url.

Thanks for your assistance.

Rick
RickMath

Postby jalperin » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:57 pm

Rick,

You shouldn't need to specify an IPN URL in your paypal configuration. OCS/OJS will send the ipn url as a parameter to paypal with the payment post.

If you insist on setting the IPN URL, then I recommend you pull up the OCS payment screen in your browser and do "view source". You should see a URL that ends with /ipn listed as one of the hidden form variables.

Good luck,
jalperin

Postby RickMath » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:04 pm

Juan

Thanks for your input. The IPN in the test account at Sandbox seems to need a server url. I can't get it to save without the URL. It says that is must provide this. Any help on this owuld be appreciated. I can see a payment from the buyer account to the test account in Sandbox but it does not record in OJS.

Not sure what to do next before we go live with the payment system.

Rick
RickMath

Postby jalperin » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:09 pm

Rick,

Sorry, I don't have an OJS install on the computer I'm at right now, but I can explain how to get the paypal IPN URL. Use OJS as normal until the payment form is displayed. If you "View Source" in your browser (right click -> view source) you should be able to find the payment form. Somewhere in there you will see a variable in the form of < input type="hidden" name="return_url" > I don't remember the exact name of the variable, but you should see one there that says some URL that ends with "/ipn". Copy and paste that whole URL in your paypal settings.

Hope that helps,
jalperin

Postby RickMath » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:24 pm

Juan

Thanks. I checked the source code on several pages. Maybe I did not go to the right one. Anyway I did not see the url anywhere in the source code. Maybe I am not following you. I appreciate your help. If you can tell me where in the process I might find the right page, I can look there.

The test payments are being made but they do not show up in the payment records in OJS.

Thanks for your patience with my questions. I know we can get this resolved.

Rick
RickMath

Postby jalperin » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:48 pm

Rick,

The IPN URL should be something like: http:// your domain /index.php/{journal}/payment/plugin/Paypal/ipn

Give that a try and let us know.
jalperin

Postby RickMath » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:56 pm

Thanks Juan

I'll go into my file manager and see if I can follow that path. I will let you know if we have a file there.

I really appreciate your prompt response. OJS is a wonderful system. I am just looking forward to using all of the capabilities.

Please stand by as I check this out.

Rick :D
RickMath

Postby RickMath » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:11 pm

Juan

I see a path to http:// your domain /index.php/{journal}/plugins/paymethod/paypal/ but nothing beyond that.

But do not see a path to http:// your domain /index.php/{journal}/payment/plugin/Paypal/ipn
with an ipn folder

I checked again at sandbox and it seems that a url to our server is needed.

Thanks

Rick
RickMath

Next

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion