OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Changing Themes

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Changing Themes

Postby RickMath » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:53 pm

Hi

I would like to change my theme. I went to set up and clicked on Old Classic Navy and then went to the bottom and clicked save. The theme did not change.

Did I not do something right? Please advise.

Thanks

Rick
RickMath

Re: Changing Themes

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:18 pm

Hi Rick,

Did you try reloading your page? The theme doesn't automatically load in your browser when you click Save -- you have to either refresh your browser or try looking at a new page. If you still aren't seeing it, I would recommend clearing your OJS template cache; doublechecking that your browser cache might not be storing it; and then getting back to me if you still don't see it loaded.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby RickMath » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:13 pm

Thanks James

I am not sure how to clear the OJS template cache. Is that somewhere in the journal manager or site manger menus?

Appreciate you help. Just let me know where to find it. I am new to this.

Rick
RickMath

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:21 pm

Hi Rick,

You can clear the template cache by logging in as Site Administrator; visiting your Site Administration User Home page (if you are already a Site Admin you'll be able to see a link to this after clicking the "My journals" link in the sidebar), and clicking the "Clear Template Cache" link. After that, reload the journal page, and let me know if you still don't see the new look.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby RickMath » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:41 pm

James

I tried this and it still does not seem to work. When we installed OJS we had to change some file and folder permissions. Is it possible that this may be the problem?

I am going to be away for a few days so I will check back on this at the end of the week.

Thanks for your help.

Rick
RickMath

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:10 am

Hi Rick,

Permissions might indeed be the issue. Maybe the first thing to check troubleshooting-wise is that your site is in fact trying to call the theme's style sheet: take a look at the page source (CTRL+U in Firefox, probably in the taskbar in IE), and see if there's the following line in your page header:

Code: Select all
<link rel="stylesheet" href="http://example.com/plugins/themes/classicNavy/classicNavy.css" type="text/css" />

If that's there, then the plugin itself is enabled and should be working. Secondly, see if you can actually view that style sheet in your browser: paste the URL in your location bar, and see whether the style sheet (which is simply a text file) appears. If it doesn't, that means it's either not uploaded or that you might be having permissions issues. Take a look to see if the style sheet exists in plugins/themes/classicNavy or not, and let me know what you find.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby RickMath » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:28 pm

James

Here is what I get in the source code and with the url in the browser.

Sorry to not get back earlier. Been on a badly needed vacation.

Does this look lke a permissions error in our installation?

Rick
RickMath

Postby RickMath » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:33 pm

James

I tried to attach the screenshot. Did I do something wrong. I don't see it in the last msg.

Rick
RickMath

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:16 pm

Hi Rick,

I believe that attachments are working normally -- try reattaching the file to a new message, and let me know if you see any errors.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby RickMath » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:32 pm

James

It appears to be working fine with the Old Navy style. I guess we were able to get the permissions right for the style.

I would like to change the font size in the header and on the pages. We are not familiar enough with css to know what to change. The header page font is way to large and the text on the pages is way to small. Also the header is all caps and I'd like to change that to Title case. Also noticed that the colors are 3 character codes. I am familiar with 6 character codes but not these. Can I find a reference for the color codes.

Also this may be a question to be posted here or to Alec. We need to know the proper numbers for the security on the folders and files in the site. What numbers in the 400, 600 and 700 range should we be using. In our system there are 3 pieces to security - owner, group and world and three levels - read, write and execute. Please advise on how to set these or let me know where I should post this question.

Thanks for your help. Sorry to be such a neophite. Just know what I'd like to do. Our site is http://www.jamt-online.org/OJS/index.php/JAMT/

If you can take a look at it and let me know, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Rick
RickMath

Postby asmecher » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:42 pm

Hi Rick,

We don't use SuPHP here so I can't guarantee specific instructions will work out, but off the top of my head, you should be able to do the following:
  • Create a user for OJS scripts to run under
  • chown all parts of the install to this account
  • Chgrp all contents of OJS install directory to the apache user (or whatever group web content runs under)
  • Use permissions of 750 for all files in the OJS install directory, EXCEPT config.inc.php
  • Use permissions of 700 for config.inc.php and the files_dir and its contents (as configured in config.inc.php)
There are too many permutations of server configuration for us to provide accurate and complete instructions, but OJS should have the same rough requirements as any web app e.g. Wordpress or Drupal. The suggestions above are for a generally workable and secure configuration, but there are other ways of doing it as well.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby RickMath » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:27 pm

Alec

Thanks. What our server manager was asking about was the following codes

644, 750, 755, 777 ????

Sorry to be such uninformed. I love the system and getting used to makeing changes. I woulkd lie to say that you and James have been great at answering my questions.

I truly appreciate everything you have done for us.

Rick :D
RickMath

Postby asmecher » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:40 pm

Hi Rick,

The server admin should be able to work with the instructions I provided above -- as I say, there are many ways of doing this, but some will be less secure. 777, for example, is always a security risk and should never be used.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby RickMath » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:29 pm

:D
Thanks Alec. You and James have been fantastic in helping us. Now the only remaining question is how to chenge the font size in the header. Let me know if I should post the elsewhere. Sorry for confusing msgs on this. You are very helpful.

Rick
RickMath

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:08 am

Hi Rick,

I'll handle the css question in this thread as it's the original theme thread; however, we'd appreciate it if you would start separate issues off in their own thread from now on.

The font size is set in styles/common.css, and then reset in plugins/themes/classicNavy/classicNavy.css. You can make changes one of two ways: directly to the classicNavy.css file, or into a new custom css file that you can then upload in Journal Setup Step 5. The advantage of doing this in a custom css file is that you won't have to worry about future upgrades wiping out your changes (although due to core css changes, you may still have to rework any modified styles).

To take the header's title as an example for modification: I would normally check first to see how it's defined in common.css, and then whether that style definition is overwritten by classicNavy.css. In this case it is -- you'll find the following in classicNavy.css:

Code: Select all
#header h1 {
        line-height: 2.5;
        font-family: "Times New Roman", Times, Georgia, serif;
        text-transform: uppercase;
        letter-spacing: 10px;
        font-size: 2em;
        background-color: #007;
        color:  #fff;
}

That code chunk is basically saying that all h1 elements within the header div should have a distance of 2.5 of the current font size between lines; should render in Times New Roman, or Times, Georgia, or serif if TNR is not present; should be displayed in upper case; should have 10px spacing between letters; should be 2em font-size; and should follow the corresponding colour rules. The best thing to do is just start experimenting with these values until you get something you like. You'll have to find each type of text in common.css, and then again in classicNavy.css, but once you look up one or two you should get the hang of it.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Next

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion