OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

COUNTER plugin

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

COUNTER plugin

Postby jlaherty » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:30 am

Hello,
We're curious to know how COUNTER works with OJS/open access -- are search robots excluded somehow from being counted in the JR1 report, or are human downloads being counted alongside robots crawling the content? We're familiar with COUNTER but have only used it in the context of products/articles that are behind security where search robots can't crawl. The reason I ask for clarification is because we turned COUNTER on for a journal almost 2 weeks ago and have realized 1200+ uses of articles and we're having a difficult time believing this is just human use.
Thank you so much,
Jennifer Laherty
Indiana University, Bloomington
jlaherty

Re: COUNTER plugin

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:32 pm

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for your question. Although I could be wrong, my understanding is that the current COUNTER plugin does not account for (ie., strip out hits by) robots and other spiders, etc. As a matter of fact, I don't think the COUNTER Release 2 makes a point of distinguishing robot traffic, although R3 does. The plugin as it currently ships was a very quick R2 implementation; several issues in particular have been flagged for revision (see http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=3879 and http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=3993). When we do upgrade the plugin to R3 we will definitely be taking robots into account as the protocol mandates. I'll stress that full COUNTER R3 support is our goal, along with some form of SUSHI ability in the near future.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby asmecher » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:09 pm

Hi all,

Just to add to James' post -- if you want readership information that does exclude (most) bots and search engines, look at the article view counts in the Editor's interface, both on each article's Summary page(for abstract views) and on the Editing page (for views of each full-text galley format). This data, however, is maintained separately from the current COUNTER stats log.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby AndyP » Thu May 07, 2009 9:23 am

Are there any plans to make available user specific counter logs, available to subscribers? At present only journal managers can view counter stats for the title as a whole. Our subscribers are requesting that they are able to view the Counter stats relating to their users only (ie within their set of IP ranges).

Thanks

Andy
AndyP

Postby jmacgreg » Fri May 08, 2009 10:18 am

Hi Andy,

Not at the moment, no -- the COUNTER plugin is meant to aggregate stats for the entire site, and as such should only be accessible to Site Administrators. If you have the resources to rework the plugin, however, we can give you some assistance.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby AndyP » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:26 am

Hi James

Thanks for the offer of assistance. Before we can tie down counter stats to particular customers we want to make sure we only have a single subscription entered for each customer. Because the size of the IP Range is limited to 255 characters we have had to split up some customers into 2 or more accounts (some have very large strings of IP ranges). Extending this limit in SubscriptionForm.tpl would seem to be the solution, but could you let me know if you think that might cause any problems.

Many thanks

Andy
AndyP

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:00 pm

Hi Andy,

You can lengthen the size of the field in that subscription template file, but I'd recommend checking that the database can also store the amount of informatino you need to store. FYI, we've been working hard at improving subscription support, and there'll be some significant changes in OJS 2.3 (hopefully out in August). If you aren't too afraid of patching your system, you can wade through the following: http://tinyurl.com/my9o6c.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:01 pm

(I should note, too, that the COUNTER plugin has seen some substantial retooling, which will be included in 2.3: http://tinyurl.com/mnfxc2. )

James
jmacgreg

Postby jlaherty » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:11 am

Hi Alec and all,
Could you please elaborate on the above when you note: **if you want readership information that does exclude (most) bots and search engines**? What is the definition of 'most' in terms of what those numbers exclude from bots and search engines?
Thank you!
Jennifer Laherty
jlaherty

Postby asmecher » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:26 am

Hi Jennifer,

OJS can tell which users are bots and which aren't by looking at the "User Agent" string supplied to PHP as part of an incoming request. Most well-behaved bots will identify themselves, i.e. GoogleBot, although some minor players do not. The list of bots is kept in the registry/botAgents.txt file.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby jlaherty » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:30 am

Thank you Alec,
Much appreciated!
--Jen
jlaherty

Postby Hely » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:56 am

So, i confront this more serious problem that the VIEWS NUMBER are still 0, and it looks like that this Plugin is stop working.

May somebody notify me to restart it again and make the VIEWS NUMBER in work?

Thanks in advance!
Hely

Postby bbeghelli » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:17 am

Hi Hely,

Counter plugin is only a report plugin now. It doesn't actually count the usage events. This is done by the usage stats plugin, inside generic category. I've answered about the views being 0 on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12483 Let's keep the discussion related to that issue there.

Regards,
Bruno
bbeghelli

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion