OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Turkish translation

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Turkish translation

Postby zekiari » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:01 am

Hi all;

I manage to use OJS 2 for our journal of university.
I am planning to translate OJS 2 to Turkish.
Can anybody tell me step by step what to do for translation.
I will be glad if you help me.

Regards;
zekiari

Steps in Translating OJS 2.0

Postby John » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:21 pm

Alec Smecher writes that...

The only critical files that need translation are the locale/en_US/locale.xml and
dbscripts/xml/data/locale/en_US/email_templates_data.xml files.
The first contains all the strings used in the user interface; the second contains all the system's default emails. (The latter can also be translated from within the system, but it's better to translate the XML file instead.)

To create a Turkish translation of the locale/en_US/locale.xml file, make a new directory called locale/tr_TR, copy the locale/en_US/locale.xml file into locale/tr_TR, edit it, and translate. There are currently 1865 translation keys in this file (approx. 10,000 words) that need to be translated.

Follow the same process to translate the email templates; there are 43 of these templates in the XML file mentioned above (approx. 2,500 words).

Once these are finished, add a new entry to registry/locales.xml. Afterwards, you can go in through the Site Administrator interface and install the translation.

There are several other files which you might consider translating, but they're not necessary. You can follow the same steps to translate each of them. They are:

* Help files in help/en_US/toc and help/en_US/topic; I wouldn't suggest translating these, as they're likely to be heavily updated in the near future.

* Reading Tools files in rt/en_US; these files describe a set of search engines made available to readers when browsing journal articles. I suggest looking through the English version of the Reading Tools and potentially translating whichever version is most appropriate.

* Plugins locale information in plugins/*/*/locale; these are very small files and easy to translate. Currently, they contain all the user interface strings used by the import/export plugins. In the future more types of plugins will be available.
John

help

Postby dudu » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:13 am

I also work on a Turkish translation. If your translation is finished may I use it? If it is not how can I help you?
dudu

Postby John » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:16 am

I'll connect you be email to those working on the Turkish translation.
Thanks.
John

Re: Turkish translation

Postby ubulgan » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:48 am

Programi turkceye cevirmek icin calismalara basladiniz mi, aynı calismayi bizde yapmak istiyoruz. Belki birlikte hareket edersek daha hizli bitirebilir miyiz diye dusunuyorum.

zekiari wrote:Hi all;

I manage to use OJS 2 for our journal of university.
I am planning to translate OJS 2 to Turkish.
Can anybody tell me step by step what to do for translation.
I will be glad if you help me.

Regards;
ubulgan

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion