OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Viewing Readers' Comments

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Viewing Readers' Comments

Postby bronxdoc » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:14 am

I have several questions related to reader's comments. With my encouragement, a reader posted a comment (the first I am aware of) to an article. He then sent me the URL of the comment, which I was able to see. However, I cannot see how to configure the Reader's Tools in such a way that this comment is visible to readers of the article. Is this possible? Is it possible for editors and authors to know when comments are posted? I see that editors can delete comments, do they have to approve them and, if so, how?

Thank, Matt Anderson
bronxdoc

Re: Viewing Readers' Comments

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:13 pm

Hi Matt,

You should be able to see a link to the article's comments at the very end of the article, or from the abstract page as well. In future releases, links to comment options (both view and read) will be placed much more prominently.

At the moment, it's not possible for management to receive emails whenever a comment is posted; however, you can set up a Captcha check for anonymous comment posting, if that is a concern. Searching the forum for 'captcha' should turn up sufficient results, but if you have any other questions, just let us know.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby wsandra » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:23 pm

How does one view reader comments when only a pdf galley exists?
wsandra

Postby wsandra » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:04 pm

But i only have a pdf galley, no abstracts and no html galley so the comments do not appear at the end of the article. How can I link to each article's "detail" view page?
wsandra

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:33 am

Hi wsandra,

See http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=2230 for a discussion on how the "details" link has been implemented. In a nutshell, a Details link will not appear if your content is open access and you have at least one galley online. However, you can include links to the comment feature for PDFs by enabling the Research Support Tool from your Journal Management Home page; just make sure to enable the comments link as well. When users click on the PDF, the Reading Tool will appear as part of the interstitial page they see next. In some browsers, the PDF will open in the browser window, and users will be able to see the RT easily; however, in other browsers the PDF may open in its own window, obscuring the RT.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby wsandra » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:35 pm

Hi James,

Thanks for the reply. Maybe I'm not describing my situation clearly.

We only have a pdf galley, the reading tools are enabled as are the comments.

If I'm a reader, I can click "Add comment"- then add my comment. I can see that my comment has been added.

But if I go back to the main TOC listing, where do I go to review the comment I just added and how do other people know and see that a comment has been added to the article?

Thanks in advance. Sandra.
bclabrowser.ca - is the journal/newsletter in question here.
Test comments have been added to Editor's Remarks and Member News.
wsandra

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:56 pm

Hi Sandra,

Thanks for the more detailed explanation, and the link. I see what you are saying now; I've reported this as a bug: please see http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=4052, and feel free to Cc yourself for future updates.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion