OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Interested in ca_ES (and es_ES) OJS 2 translation

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Interested in ca_ES (and es_ES) OJS 2 translation

Postby Marc » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:48 am

Hi folks!

We are interested in making the localization of OJS 2 in Catalan (ca_ES) and may be in Spanish (es_ES).

To extract the data to translate we've done a script in awk (if it works I will send it to the OJS community) .
It loops of all files .xml into a folder where there is the files to translate, and I need to be sure which files we must translate.

Into the OJS README file I've read:

To add support for other languages, the following sets of files must be
localized and placed in an appropriately named directory (using ISO locale
codes, e.g. "fr_FR", is recommended):

* locale/en_US
* dbscripts/xml/data/locale/en_US
* help/en_US/toc
* help/en_US/topic
* rt/en_US
* plugins/[plugin category]/[plugin name]/locale, where applicable

But I've found in help folder something like

* help/en_US/[topic]/toc
* help/en_US/[topic]/topic

I must translate all those files?

And in the rt folder there is a lot of folders as well as en_US. Those files (except rt/en_US/*) are not important for the localization?

Besides, to install the locales:

New locales must also be added to the file registry/locales.xml, after which
they can be installed in the system through the site administration web
interface.

I don't understand the way to install it.
If I will have a lot of translate files, each one into a folder ca_ES into the same folder that en_US (like ./locale/en_US and ./locale/ca_ES).
What must I to do?

Thanks a lot!

Marc
Marc

Postby kevin » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:41 pm

All files under a "en_US" directory would need to be translated for a full localization of the system, but the only ones that are really required are under locale/en_US and dbscripts/xml/data/locale/en_US.

The other stuff like help and the reading tools aren't overly crucial and will fall back to the English version if no localization is available. (I would recommend against spending time translating the English help files as they will likely be reworked significantly at some point in the future.)
kevin

Postby asmecher » Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:52 pm

Hello all,

Here are some approximate word counts for locale files in OJS 2.0.3:
  • Main locale file: 14,000 words
  • Plugin locale files: 1,000 words
  • Help files: 17,000 words
  • Email templates: 4,000 words

The Reading Tools may also require translation; however, since this fairly labour-intensive, it is acceptable to use the English reading tools for other locales.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

OJS Translation

Postby ramon » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:49 am

Dear OJSers,

I'm sorry to write this, but this translation system is a real hassle, especially because we have to keep up with the updates you make.

It would be more interesting to develop a translation tool within the system. I have mentioned this in a very old post, when we were testing Mambo as a CMS software. It contains a module MambelFish, which creates inputs for everything that is written in the system to be translated.

If the content is kept in the database translations would be simpler to make.

Anyway.. Have you added variables to the main XML file? if not, that is completed for the portuguese translation. We are working on the email templates now and the help system.

Thanks anyway..
ramon

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:39 am

Hi Ramon,

It's true that translations must be updated with each revision; however, as initial translations are completed, we'll be adding them to the core CVS tree and taking on their distribution.

Thereafter, we'll be tracking specific changes to locale data in as much detail as possible; as each release is prepared, we'll contact translation providers with this information to ensure that each locale is up to date. Comprehensive translation work won't be necessary once the original translation is completed.

If you've begun translation against an earlier version, I can send you a list of locale keys that have changed or been added or removed since its release.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team

CVS

Postby ramon » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:22 am

Alec,

Please send the locale keys, for I was working on 2.01....
to ramon@ibict.br

Thanks a lot!!
ramon

Postby kevin » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:25 pm

Using diff to compare the differences between release versions of the localization files would be the most appropriate way to do it -- either using CVS or by downloading releases to be compared to your local system. For example, the changes from 2.0.1 -> 2.0.2 for locale.xml
kevin

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion