OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

There is a way to skip review and editing layers?

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

There is a way to skip review and editing layers?

Postby Marc » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:13 am

Hi everybody,

We are a little public consortium interested in using OJS 2.0.1.

We want to made a journal's portal, but our target journals are very little and not commercial journals.
We will offer them the site (we will be site administrators) and each journal team will manage each own journal.
As little journal teams, they aren't section editors neither reviewers. Besides they aren't a workflow as a commercial editor.
We would know if it's possible:
to submit an article by the journal's editor
to jump the review and the editing layers

Moreover, there is a way to submit an article in an other format than .doc, .rtf or word perfect format?
The electronic version of this journals normally is in a .pdf file and not always the editor can obtain the original file (or it was in an other format).
A way is attach the pdf file as a supplementary file but if we haven't the original file we need an empty file to submit... is it the only way?

We now that is underutilise this great software but we want to allow journal's stuff to adapt step by step...

Thanks a lot!

Marc
Marc

Postby mjordan » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:12 pm

Hi Marc,

OJS 2.0.1 has an import plugin, which is described at the end of the OJS Technical Reference (http://pkp.sfu.ca/ojs/OJSTechnicalReference.pdf) and in more detail in the docs/IMPORTEXPORT file in the OJS distribution. The import tool will do what you want. It is available from the Journal Manager's "Import/Export Data" page, or via the command line using the tools/importExport.php utility. You will need to mark up the metadata for your article in the PKP XML format (plugins/importexport/native/native.dtd) but you could import PDFs directly.

Mark
mjordan

Postby JuanBalandrán » Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:16 am

mjordan wrote:
but you could import PDFs directly.

Mark

Would you mind to explain to us how do you import pdfs directly? I am getting the following error message when I try to import any pdf via manager/importexport/plugin/NativeImportExportPlugin .

Thanks,

Juan
JuanBalandrán

Postby asmecher » Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:44 am

Hello Juan,

There are two methods for bringing documents into OJS for publishing:
  • Going through the regular submission process
  • Using the Articles & Issues XML Plugin (Import/Export)

If you want to use the first method but don't have the original .DOC file, you can go ahead and submit the document as a PDF; there's no requirement for the submission file to be any particular type.

However, if you're not going to use the Review, Copyediting, Layout Editing, and Proofreading features of OJS, it's probably going to be faster to use the second method (Import/Export plugin). This is designed for batch imports, but you can use it for single documents if you like. To use this, you'll have to create an XML document conforming to plugins/importexport/native/native.dtd in the OJS distribution (2.0.1 or newer).

Currently, there's no more direct method to import PDFs for publishing. The OJS team is considering this for a future release.

Regards,
Alec
asmecher

simplifying workflow

Postby Kate L. » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:05 am

Hello

I am a new user from an Australian Universityand I have 2 student subeditors who assist me in running the journal. None of us have any special skills in IT, though we do have access to our University IT people where required. I really like the software apart from one aspect, which is the purpose of my posting.

My students are responsible for all the stages after review - copyedit, layout and proofreading. Each of these stages in the software requires multiple upload and handling of the document. I was wondering if there is any way of simplifying the workflow so that once the article has been reviewed, it can be dealt with in only one or two stages? eg sub editor review ( incorporating copy/layout/proofread) and author approval?

This is, I guess, in part a suggestion for later versions, but if you think it would be possible for my IT dept to amend the programme as it is, I would be interested in your advice as to how to go about it.

Cheers and thanks.

Kate
Kate L.

Postby asmecher » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:55 am

Hi Kate,

There's currently no way to simplify the user interface, but note that it's not necessary to complete all of the workflow to get the article into scheduling. The minimal set of steps is described in the posting at http://pkp.sfu.ca/support/forum/viewtopic.php?t=580.

It's also possible to disable some of the roles (e.g. Copyeditor) in Journal Setup; this may help somewhat.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion