OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

HOW-TO: install OJS on Godaddy with MySQL 5

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

HOW-TO: install OJS on Godaddy with MySQL 5

Postby uwjack » Tue May 13, 2008 12:53 pm

(This post was originally attached to viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2976, which is a good read if you are having problems -- James)

I'm ditto on all of these issues so far - just wanted to post with a solution:

GoDaddy hosting, mySQL 5, OJS 2.2

Upon first install (unzipped, set permissions and navigated to the front page) I saw only:
Code: Select all
DB Error: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/usr/local/mysql-5.0/data/mysql.sock' (2)

in plain black text on white. No modifications had been made to config.ini.php at that point and I had not manually created a database.

Setting disable_path_info = ON gets me to the installer page. All of the pre-install questions about directory permissions read 'yes.'
After completing the fields (including the check box to create a database the install fails.
Code: Select all
DB Error: Can't connect to local MySQL server foo bar etc
again - but this time, it's on the OJS themed page as a red error message.
A full stack trace & verbose database feedback threw me off with those ADOdb messages. This had nothing to do with it.

GoDaddy has separate mySQL boxes. Go to your Hosting Control > Databases > mySQL > Open Manager and write down the host IP address. This needs to go into your config.ini.php file as the mySQL host. I manually created the DB to be on the safe side, then ran the install page as normal (with just the Create Database box unchecked) and everything seems to have turned out peachy.
I want an hour of my life back for this stupid mistake!
uwjack

Re: HOW-TO: install OJS on Godaddy with MySQL 5

Postby zzitronweiss » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:00 am

Hi uwjack,

I have followed your advice but am still unable to get anywhere. You say that when setting disable_path_info = ON you were able to get into the installer page. What I get, however, is ‘This script can only be executed from the command-line’ instead.

On the other hand, when changing the ‘localhost’ with the host IP address, as you recommend, gives me the following error:

(mysql): SELECT * FROM journals WHERE path = 'ojs'
Warning: mysql_query(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/content/a/c/t/actascientie/html/ojs/lib/adodb/drivers/adodb-mysql.inc.php on line 496
2013: Lost connection to MySQL server during query

ADOConnection._Execute(SELECT * FROM journals WHERE path = 'ojs') % line 845, file: adodb.inc.php
ADOConnection.Execute(SELECT * FROM journals WHERE path = ?, Array[1]) % line 67, file: DAO.inc.php
DAO.retrieve(SELECT * FROM journals WHERE path = ?, ojs) % line 50, file: JournalDAO.inc.php
JournalDAO.getJournalByPath(ojs) % line 422, file: Request.inc.php
Request.getJournal() % line 166, file: XMLGalleyPlugin.inc.php

DB Error: Lost connection to MySQL server during query
zzitronweiss

Re: HOW-TO: install OJS on Godaddy with MySQL 5

Postby zzitronweiss » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:55 am

This is the most I could do so far:

(mysql): SELECT * FROM journals WHERE path = 'ojs' 1146: Table 'zzitronweiss.journals' doesn't exist

ADOConnection._Execute(SELECT * FROM journals WHERE path = 'ojs') % line 845, file: adodb.inc.php
ADOConnection.Execute(SELECT * FROM journals WHERE path = ?, Array[1]) % line 67, file: DAO.inc.php
DAO.retrieve(SELECT * FROM journals WHERE path = ?, ojs) % line 50, file: JournalDAO.inc.php
JournalDAO.getJournalByPath(ojs) % line 422, file: Request.inc.php
Request.getJournal() % line 166, file: XMLGalleyPlugin.inc.php

DB Error: Table 'zzitronweiss.journals' doesn't exist
zzitronweiss

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion