OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Features that never made it to 2.0...

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Features that never made it to 2.0...

Postby gsk3 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:21 am

Congrats on 2.0. It's excellent, and the code is much cleaner than 1.x. However, there were a few nice features in the old version that are missing in 2.0:
-The about the editorial team page doesn't show biographies any more when you click on the editors.
-The concept of 'boards' seems to have been done away with entirely--no editorial board, no review board.

Are these coming back in the 2.01 release?
Thanks!
Ari
gsk3

Editorial Boards and Biographies

Postby John » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:20 pm

Glad to hear about the Editoral Board and Biographies being missed. That's what we need to hear as we continue to develop features for OJS 2.X.
John

OJS 2.0 Features

Postby ramon » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:15 pm

John,

Will you include in that area for the Review Board, a special feature that I mentioned before? Since they only decide which articles go to "print", they will need to view a list of the approved items and either vote or order them like in the publishing area. The system would automatically sort them and publish them in order (may need to set a min or max number of articles per issue.. for print purposes..)
ramon

Postby John » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:35 pm

Ramon
You mentioned in one of your earlier emails on this (21 Oct 2004) about being able to email the editorial board. I think that this may be the best way to go at this point of Board members voting, as it has not come up elsewhere. We are intending to add an Editorial Board/Review Board section for entering users into this class, and listing them on About page. This group would have an email function, as do all groups. We are also considering adding the ability to add email templates that can be associated with groups of users, such as a Board. The Board members would need to be enrolled as editors to have Table of Content and Article preview access, and they would then respond to the Editor by email with their votes or abstensions, who would then make the decision about inclusion and order, prior to publishing. How's that sound?
John

Editorial Board

Postby ramon » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:42 am

John,

I guess that may do it, but I'm not sure how will that work. I may need a graphical representation of the process to understand it better.

However, all that is really required is general email to all the members with a link to the list of articles, reviewed and approved. Their active tasks will then show they need to read each article and vote on those they consider to be appropriate for the journal. The editor will then decide to follow the order of approval or not, since there is no limit as to how many articles to publish, and theri is no need to actually designate them to review as that is their job. The email notification will set it up, as well as a deadline for voting, according to the system's standard process.

Not sure if this makes it simpler..
ramon

Another feature suggestion

Postby gsk3 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:43 pm

Is it possible in OJS to have a person appear in multiple roles (aside from Author/Reviewer/Reader)? I'm guessing not, since they are different database tables, but it would be great to have, particularly given the strict one-user-per-email-address limits.
Thanks!
Ari
gsk3

Postby John » Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:42 pm

At this point in OJS 2.X, a user can be enroled in as many roles as necessary by the Journal Manager.
John

Postby gsk3 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:39 am

John wrote:At this point in OJS 2.X, a user can be enroled in as many roles as necessary by the Journal Manager.

Not sure why I can't figure out how to do this then. I've looked and looked. I'll play around with it some more. Thanks.

Another feature that would be great to have back is the option for RSS feeds and LOCKSS.

Thanks again. You guys are spectacular.
Ari
gsk3

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:49 am

Both LOCKSS and RRS are in the works for OJS 2.X. Thanks for the encouragement.

Postby gsk3 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:46 pm

Have another (small) feature request. Add a webpage option to the information on people, particularly the editorial board. It would be nice to make their names link to their webpages.
Thanks!
Ari
gsk3

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion