OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

HOW-TO: Import and Export Data Using OJS

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Re: HOW-TO: Import and Export Data Using OJS

Postby sttis » Tue May 14, 2013 6:51 pm

Thanks Alec. I found one user with a missing last name, so have fixed that up. Ironically after re-exported the users I am now getting the error DB Error: Column 'last_name' cannot be null. I'll keep looking.
sttis

Postby asmecher » Wed May 15, 2013 8:19 am

Hi sttis,

Likewise, last names need to be specified for all users.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby Marten » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:06 am

Hi,

Im quite new to OJS and i have been asked to move all the data from one website(OJS 2.3.3-3) to another new latest version OJS. i would like to know what plugin is reccomended to be used to export all possible data from one website and then to import to a bran new installation of OJS?

The place the website is currently hosted has made some unwanted changes to the OJS so we cant move the entire website. i have been asked to explain to them how to export the data so they can zip it and give me a download link.

Have read through all the documentation (http://pkp.sfu.ca/wiki/index.php/Import ... rting_Data) and the import/export pdf but i cant find anything mentioning that all data will be exported so im worried i might miss some data (meta data,CrossRef etc.) or i might export double data and problems importing again. :?

Im not sure if one plugin can do it all but if i have to use more then one then what would your reccomendation be? Also what data would only be able to be exported getting the database via PhpMyAdmin?

Thanks for all the great work you guys have done so far and thanks for any help in advance! :mrgreen:
Marten

Postby asmecher » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:49 am

Hi Marten,

None of the import/export tools in OJS will capture everything. What you want to do is get...
  • a database dump (e.g. through phpMyAdmin)
  • an archive of the contents of the files directory (this is configured in the config.inc.php configuration file, and is where all the submission documents are stored)
  • An archive of the "public" files directory (this is where CSS and certain other files are stored)
  • If there are any modifications to the system you want to preserve, an archive of the code
Move all these contents to the new server, then follow the instructions in docs/UPGRADE to update the code to a new version.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Previous

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion