OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

HOW-TO: Customize OJS

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

HOW-TO: Customize OJS

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:53 pm

Expanded documentation on customizing OJS is now available:

[list]
http://pkp.sfu.ca/files/docs/customizingojs/index.html (HTML)

The Table of Contents is as follows:

Preface
Introduction
First Thing's First: The Look
-Modifying the Journal Homepage Header
-Adding Homepage Content
-Modifying the Journal Page Header
-The Journal Page Footer
-Adding a New Navigation Bar Item
-Packaged Themes and Layout
-Information for Librarians, Readers and Authors
-Lists
Stylesheet Modifications
-Stylesheet Locations
-Making Style Changes
Miscellany
-Adding a Unique Image for Each Issue
-Announcements
-Adding a Multilingual Interface
-Adding a Splash Screen
-Adding MP3 Support
Other Resources
-A. common.css

If you have any further tips, tricks or suggestions, please post them here. This is an evolving document, and comments are welcome.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Re: HOW-TO: Customize OJS

Postby sigij » Thu May 29, 2008 4:02 am

How to add different banner images to each issue:

This is a quick work-around we used for Culture Machine. Upload a transparent gif in Journal Manager/Set up/The Look/5.1 (Journal Homepage Header-Journal Logo).

You can grab the gif off the CM site by right-clicking on any banner on:
http://www.culturemachine.net

Then include a background image to a custom style sheet which is uploaded at the issue level: (Editor/Back-Current-Future Issue/Issue Data). e.g.

#headerTitle {
margin: 0 auto;
padding: 0;
width: 800px;
background-image: url("http://your domain/banner-vol1.gif");
background-repeat: no-repeat;
background-position: left bottom;
sigij

Postby sigij » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:41 am

I forgot to note in my previous post: you'll need to upload the transparent gif to both 5.1 *and* 5.3 in Customizing the Look - (otherwise OJS will automatically write the journal name in the header and it will interfere with the background image banner).
sigij

Postby morin » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:18 pm

Here's a question. I want to add a new page to my OJS installation. This is an instructions page for the section editors. It won't be linked to externally. Editors will get a link to it when they are assigned a paper to review. The contents are static but, for consistency, I'd like it to be formatted like the rest of the journal's pages. Is there an easy way to do this?

Thanks in advance,
Pat
morin

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:06 am

Hi Pat,

You can try out the Static Pages plugin (available in future versions of OJS/OCS as per http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=4474; currently available from viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3437). This will allow you to make custom static pages from within OJS; you can then link to them in prepared emails or elsewhere.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby morin » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:15 pm

Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks,
Pat
morin

Postby morin » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:27 pm

By the way, this worked like a charm for me.

The only drawback is that the rendering engine removes most of the html markup in the displayed page, so only a few tags work. None of the header tags (h1, h2, h3,...) get rendered, which means you have to keep the page fairly simple.

Pat
morin

Postby asmecher » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:11 pm

Hi Pat,

For most users, the set of HTML tags is limited for security reasons. You can define which tags are allowed by editing your config.inc.php (see allowed_html in the [security] section).

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby morin » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:30 pm

Thanks Alec. That works perfectly for me.
morin

Postby crlsgms » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:32 am

thats awesome.. this guides were made for my issues... if i notice something different ill try to contribute, congratulations for the nice job.
crlsgms

Postby JohnGR » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:37 am

Hello everyone!!

I read the customization wiki but I didn't find what I was looking for and I was hoping to find some help here.

I would like to add a container div that will hold the header, the content, the sidebar & the footer, so it's easier to create a fixed layout that is easy to manipulate and style. I was wondering if there is a way to do that.

Thanks in advance :)
JohnGR

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:17 pm

Hi JohnGR,

You'll have to edit the template file(s) directly -- templates are stored in the templates/ directory (and in OJS 2.3+, in lib/pkp/templates as well). There's plenty of information on the forum about customizing template files, and header files in particular.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby JohnGR » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:22 am

Thank you very much James, I'll have a look in the template files then :)
JohnGR

Postby kol_jaf » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:39 pm

I design a new theme for my ojs journal. Yet I do not know where it should be placed. Would you please advice me? Thank you.
kol_jaf

Postby jamief » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:31 am

Hi James:

I tried to get to the PDF version but it jumps me directly to the wiki. Is the PDF not yet available? or is it a link problem?
jamief

Next

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion