OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki



Unexpected database encoding error in OJS2

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Unexpected database encoding error in OJS2

Postby flengyel » Mon May 23, 2005 1:21 pm

We have upgraded our open journal systems site http://www.radicalimagination.com to OJS2. We are using mysql 4.1.10 (For RHEL 4) and php 4.3.9

During the installation, we set the following parameters concerning the characterset for input/output. database connection, and dtabase storage (these parameters end up in config.inc.php after the installation):

client_charset = utf-8
connection_charset = utf8
database_charset = utf8

A query on the Journal's first page returned the error that the swedish language encoding was invalid--only we asked for utf-8 in the setup! To fix this, we changed the connection_charset and database_charset parameters in config.inc.php from "utf8" (this need not be the same as "utf-8", to "Off"). The problem was resolved. Our config.inc.php now reads as follows:

; Database connection character set
; Must be set to "Off" if not supported by the database server
; If enabled, must be the same character set as "client_charset"
; (although the actual name may differ slightly depending on the server)
;connection_charset = utf8
connection_charset = Off

; Database storage character set
; Must be set to "Off" if not supported by the database server
;database_charset = utf8
database_charset = Off

-FL
flengyel
 

Correction: view journal from index.php led to encoding erro

Postby flengyel » Mon May 23, 2005 1:28 pm

Pardon me: mysql returned the unexpected sweding encoding error from the VIEW JOURNAL and CURRENT links on the mail OJS page. Making the connection and database character set parameter changes resolved that problem.

FL
flengyel
 

Postby Guest » Mon May 23, 2005 1:28 pm

"swedish" not "sweding", whatever that means - I'm typing in a rush for some reason.
Guest
 

Postby kevin » Mon May 23, 2005 1:49 pm

See this bug report.
kevin
 
Posts: 338
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:23 pm


Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests