OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Database Cryptography

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Database Cryptography

Postby André Luz » Sun May 15, 2005 4:27 am

Dear,

is there any kind of cryptography on the OJS? I used the SEER version (customized from IBICT - Brazil) and my database show me strange characters in the password. How can I to change this visualization?

Congratulations for a OJS. It's amazing system.

Thanks.
André Luz

Password Salt

Postby ramon » Fri May 20, 2005 2:39 pm

André,

SEER/OJS, as you know it, creates a password salt automatically to encrypt user passwords. This is done to allow the system to recover those passwords.

I assume you have deleted the general editor (administrator) of the journal. You will need to run the final step of the installation again to create a new user with full permissions, that will be able to update that previous editor's role.
ramon

Postby kevin » Fri May 20, 2005 8:01 pm

OJS 1.x uses MySQL's two-way ENCODE function to store passwords.

OJS 2.x uses either MD5 or SHA1, but could be extended quite trivially to use another encryption function (or no encryption) if desired.
kevin

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion