OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Database and Form Fields too small

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Database and Form Fields too small

Postby ramon » Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:04 am

Dear OJS Developers,

We are running into form and database field size problems. Since the system is meant to be international, but it does not create separate databases for each language, we must input all the language content in one field (i.e: title, abstract, author bio, as well as all the journal's about content!).

Unfortunately, there are HTML form field size limitations, as well as database size limitations, which truncates content. Some of the section's titles get truncated too, as well as telephone fields which do not accept cell phone number sizes.

Also, in Brazil a phone number may contain at least 8 digits, plus 2 digit area code, plus international code, and if you want to add your cell phone there is no field for it, so it is typed in the same field.

I would recommend changing all database fields to either 255 chars, or better all to TEXT, as well as remove all size limitations in form fields.

This would solve many content limitatons.

Another solution is to create and "Add language button", so each field could have a translation, and add a cell phone field in user registration. I believe I'm part of "the less than 1%" of the population in Brazil who does NOT own a cell phone.
ramon

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion