OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Google Scholar

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Google Scholar

Postby jkeisers » Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:40 am

I submitted one of our OJS-based e-journals (PCSP - http://pcsp.libraries.rutgers.edu/) to Google Scholar a few weeks ago. Yesterday, I got an e-mail from the Google Scholar people, with the following:

[begin quote]

If the documents on your site are freely available to everyone, all we need to do is to make sure that our crawlers can reach all the documents – i.e., all the content should be reachable by following links. If you have tables of content or a browsing interface that allows users to reach all documents by following links, then your site is already suitable for crawling. If on the other hand, the documents on your site are available only by searching via a search form, we will need to work together to make sure our crawlers can reach the content. In your case it would be great if you could create a simple link-based browsing interface for archives instead of the menu that you have in place right now. Menus can be tricky at times for crawlers. Do you think you could implement these changes?

I can send guidelines for this over email and we can follow that up with discussion/questions if needed.

If the documents on your site are available only to some people (possibly members of the campus community), we can work with you to index full text content while preserving your access-control regimen. For this, our crawlers will need access to the full text of the documents. This can be usually be implemented by an IP-based access control mechanism (crawlers are unable to handle passwords).

We also require that users that click on links to restricted-access documents be able to see at least an abstract.

[end quote]

Now the problem with OJS might be that the standard Archives page uses a drop-down list for the older issues. This means that the Google crawler won't be able to find the articles. So now I am working on a single page that generates a list of all the articles, authors, links to abstract pages, etc. by doing a DB query.

With the OJS-based journal Nordlyd (http://www.ub.uit.no/munin/nordlyd/index.php?locale=en) they seem to have solved this problem by generating a list of links to the most recent issues on the frontpage. I remember that I saw one other journal where they got rid of the standard archives page, but I forgot the title of this journal.

Thank you.
jkeisers

Postby kevin » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:03 pm

OJS currently includes a "publisher manifest" page (pubmanifest.php) as a gateway for LOCKSS-based indexers to the journal content.

It may be possible to reuse this page for this purpose as well.

Not a bad idea to make the issues archive link-based instead of menu-based, though.
kevin

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion