OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

DOI and ALM, different situations.

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

DOI and ALM, different situations.

Postby tarcisiop » Mon May 26, 2014 5:53 am

Hello,

My first situation:
I have in my installation journals that are not primarily stored here.
Here are just a mirror of it. In this way, the DOI is not assigned by us, but by the company that hosts the journal.

Second situation:
A magazine that originally had its DOI assigned by us, at one point came to be assigned by another entity, and finally returned to be assigned by us.

In both situations, how do I handle this?
For me, the ideal would be able to track the DOI in both.

I believe it is not possible to do something with the ALM today.
But there is some idea that makes this possible in the future?

Grateful.
tarcisiop

Re: DOI and ALM, different situations.

Postby asmecher » Mon May 26, 2014 6:31 am

Hi tarcisiop,

Recent releases of OJS store DOIs, once generated, attached to article content. Thus you should be able to e.g. change your DOI configuration in the journal setup without affecting already-generated DOIs.

In the first situation, how are you synchronizing content?

In the second situation, what version of OJS are you using?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby tarcisiop » Mon May 26, 2014 6:55 am

Hi Alec,

Now I'm using 2.4.3 and testing the migration to 2.4.4.1. My database is really huge, I need a lot of tests to migrate it.

In first situation, I download the journals issues from Scielo and step through a tool that downloads the PDF and generate an native XML for import into OJS.
The tool:
https://github.com/USPSIBi/LILACS

Another question, How long does a facebook sharing be accounted for in ALM? I did a test with an article on day 22 and so far nothing is shown.
tarcisiop

Postby asmecher » Mon May 26, 2014 7:15 am

Hi tarcisiop,

OJS 2.4.3 should behave in the way you want -- i.e. once generated, DOIs are attached to articles and won't be re-generated based on a different DOI configuration.

Does the Scielo XML file contain DOIs? If not, that's your problem.

As for ALM and Facebook sharing, I'm not sure, but I can forward this post along to the developer who wrote the ALM stuff. Do you specifically mean the ALM plugin available here?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby tarcisiop » Mon May 26, 2014 7:26 am

Alec,

Scielo have no XML, I download the issue in ISO 2709 format, and I convert into a ISO and then into a .XML.
It's a crazy process, but in the end, I have a OJS-Native .XML with DOI and PDF.

The problem:
The DOI generated does not match the rules for the creation of DOI, which makes sense, since they do not exist in OJS.

In both cases, The DOI is different from the rules defined in the plugin settings DOI.
DOI is in my database, import is not the problem, my problem is with the ALM plugin.

I'm not able to track a DOI that does not match the rules defined in the settings plugin DOI.
tarcisiop

Postby jalperin » Mon May 26, 2014 7:33 am

The DOI plugin should be pulling the "StoredDOI" that is in OJS for tracking. So if you're assigned those correctly for the back content, then it should work as expected. You need to make sure that when you use the "getDOI" (or getStoredDOI, I forget which) that you get the DOIs that are expected. Check to see what was submitted by searching for the articles in pkp-alm.lib.sfu.ca
jalperin

Postby tarcisiop » Thu May 29, 2014 5:28 am

I'm getting this e-mail:
"ALM plugin is enabled but a valid DOI prefix must be specified
field sausoc path. Set up correctly to send information
article. "

I have journal that had a DOI prefix.
Was transferred to another institution, soon received another DOI prefix.
Today returned, resuming the first DOI prefix.

How to handle this situation in ALM?

This is the real problem, not assigning DOI.
I can not change the DOI of the preceding Articles.

Maybe it's better to try topic ALM topic?
tarcisiop

Postby jalperin » Thu May 29, 2014 8:30 am

You may need to go into the DB and entered the StoredDOI setting. It doesn't matter if they have a different prefix. Once they are marked as "stored", they wont change even if you change the prefix or the pattern.
jalperin

Postby tarcisiop » Thu May 29, 2014 8:42 am

Hi Juan,

But. Will ALM works in this case after I do that?
Our real problem is how to make ALM work with DOIs not assigned by us or with different prefix.

Thank you.
tarcisiop

Postby jalperin » Thu May 29, 2014 8:44 am

ALM uses the storedDOI setting for all articles. So you'll be fine as long as the setting is correct.
jalperin

Postby tarcisiop » Thu May 29, 2014 8:47 am

Thank you Juan,
I will try it.

Grateful,
Tarcisio Pereira
tarcisiop

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion