OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Decisions by "section editor" and by "editor"

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Decisions by "section editor" and by "editor"

Postby patrickallo » Fri May 23, 2014 4:36 am

The division of labour between editors and section-editors allows for quite some overlap, with the main distinction being that editors can put together issues, and section-editors can't.

Am I right that: after reports are received the responsible (section-)editor can make a decision and immediately email this decision to the author?
If so, is there any way to avoid this situation, and only allow editors to make decisions.

Concretely: after reports are received, I'd like the section-editor to give an advice to the editor, who then makes a decision and emails this decision to the author.
(this is more or less how Editorial Manager and so function)

If this can't be done directly, is there a workaround?
patrickallo

Re: Decisions by "section editor" and by "editor"

Postby parisa » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:08 am

Hello, I have the same problem! I appreciate if you let me know about the solution if you find any!
I wonder why nobody answered this question by now! It's too critical!
Parisa
parisa

Re: Decisions by "section editor" and by "editor"

Postby asmecher » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:14 am

Hi all,

We haven't had many calls for this kind of workflow, though I can see its utility. To disable Section Editors recording decisions on submissions, edit pages/sectionEditor/SubmissionEditHandler and find the line (near line 207):
Code: Select all
$allowRecommendation = $submission->getCurrentRound() == $round && $submission->getReviewFileId() != null && !empty($editAssignments);
Add an additional condition checking to ensure that this is a full Editor:
Code: Select all
$user =& $request->getUser();
$roleDao =& DAORegistry::getDAO('RoleDAO');
$allowRecommendation = $submission->getCurrentRound() == $round && $submission->getReviewFileId() != null && !empty($editAssignments) && $roleDao->userHasRole($journal->getId(), $user->getId(), ROLE_ID_EDITOR);
This code is untested but should work.

Note that this ONLY changes the user interface -- a malicious Section Editor who knew you had made this change could still read the source code and determine how to record a decision. However, that's not a plausible risk in my opinion.

If you have some development skills and would like to see this generally implemented in a future release, code contributions are welcome.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion