OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Additional order of articles

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Additional order of articles

Postby Tsto » Thu May 15, 2014 12:57 am

Dear all,

the journal I'm working with (www.connotations.de) has two ways to arrange its content. The first, conventional way is the publication of the articles in volumes and issues (http://www.connotations.uni-tuebingen.de/contents.htm). But part of the journal's structure is ordering the articles as debates over the course of multiple issues (the articles together with their responses - http://www.connotations.uni-tuebingen.de/debates.htm). Is there a way in OJS to include both ways? I mean, I can easily enough reproduce our back catalogue as issues, but can I also display the same articles on separate pages for the separate debates?
Tsto

Re: Additional order of articles

Postby asmecher » Thu May 15, 2014 7:42 am

Hi Tsto,

I haven't heard of that style of publishing before -- and unfortunately OJS won't help you out of the box, as it's fairly wedded to the issue-based model. (We're actively working on designs for megajournal and continuous publication models, but that won't be out until OJS 3.0, and still won't address exactly what you've got in mind.)

Can you describe what you'd like navigation to look like? You're going to need to customize OJS to get what you want -- but perhaps I can make some suggestions for easier approaches.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby Tsto » Mon May 19, 2014 12:10 am

Hi Alec,

thanks for answering! The journal itself is issue-based. But we use the advantages of an online edition to present the articles in two different orders. All we need is a kind of "doubled" list of contents: one that uses a traditional issue-based listing, and one that is ongoing that lists the debates. Each debate (like an issue) gets an own page. Here's a sample for such a debate page: http://www.connotations.uni-tuebingen.d ... r01613.htm. Plus each article has a little header that points to the other articles in a debate (similar to a customized "related posts"-field).

I'm not sure how OJS could mirror such a structure. Up to now I experimented with adding an extra static page for the debates into the standard OJS installation. But I haven't found a solution yet. But if you're willing to help out a little, I'd gladly keep on trying.

Regards
Timo
Tsto

Postby asmecher » Tue May 20, 2014 8:32 am

Hi Timo,

We're currently looking at two main models: traditional issue-based, and megajournal/continuous publication. Unfortunately your model falls outside both of those, and unless we get a lot of call for it, we're unlikely to prioritize it.

Using a static page is a fairly decent work-around -- it does cost a bit of time in curation but I'm not sure coding up a specific workflow would be more efficient overall.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion