OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Some Questions About OJS

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Some Questions About OJS

Postby hehe » Wed May 07, 2014 12:50 am

Hello everyone,

Thanks for this great application. I have some questions about OJS that I hope you can help.

1. I want users to sign a paper about copyright in order to upload their documents to my system. Like, if you want to upload your document (or, if you want your document to be printed in my journal), you have to first upload a document with your sign on it. There's a document that states that you are accepting this, this and that. When you upload this copyright document (a user can upload a blank txt file, of course, I won't check that), then you can upload your document. Is this possible?

2. When a reviewer declines a document, I can't assign the same document to him/her. Sometimes this happens unintentionally. Reviewer1 can reject the review process by mistake. Is it possible to undo this?

3. If Reviewer1 rejects the document1, is it possible to ask him to review document2?

4. When document1's review process is done, do the author1 has to upload the finished document again to the system? If reviewer1 wants to change something, can he/she do it, or the author has to do it? Is there a possibility of changing stuff after the document has done reviewing and accepted? Where can I do editing/proofreading?

5. This one is a bit weird. Is it possible to mail editors when a user uploads a document, a reviewer sends a message to author, and author sends a message to reviewer? Can all the editors be aware of those operations?

Thank you very much in advance, and sorry for this long, complicated post.
hehe

Re: Some Questions About OJS

Postby asmecher » Wed May 07, 2014 8:01 am

Hi hehe,

1. OJS doesn't include anything specific to enforce a form upload. However, you could introduce the item in the Submission Checklist, which can be customized in Journal Setup, requesting that the user upload the form as e.g. a Supplementary File.

2. In this case, the best solution is to begin a second review round.

3. OJS 2.x only supports a single submission file, so no. However, OJS 3.0 will support multiple review files.

4. Once a review is finished, the reviewer can no longer upload files; the review needs to become part of the official record. Authors are able to upload files more flexibly.

5. Each case is handled differently: when reviewers complete reviews, the editor is notified; when a submission decision is recorded, the editor has the opportunity to notify the author. Generally speaking, the interactions that we've determined are "important" involve notifications. This is based on a combination of general feedback and we may not have gotten it all correct.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby hehe » Thu May 08, 2014 12:01 am

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

If I understand correctly, I can't force users to upload some file before submission. Like, I have to upload Copyright document, and then upload my submission.

Am I correct?
hehe

Postby asmecher » Thu May 08, 2014 8:15 am

Hi hehe,

That's correct -- that would require a modification. The closest thing to what you describe is the submission checklist, but it requires agreement, not a file upload.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion