OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Moving a manuscript from Review --> Copyediting

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Re: Moving a manuscript from Review --> Copyediting

Postby Dan » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:17 am

Alex,

That would be helpful, thanks. I know very little PHP.

-Dan
Dan

Postby asmecher » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:00 am

Hi Dan,

OK -- if you're not handy with PHP, and since this is mostly an editorial back-end area rather than a front-facing part of the system, it's probably better to use "echo" or "die" statements. This will give you immediate feedback on what's happening in your browser. Be careful when making changes -- small typos can cause the page to die entirely. Save a backup of each file before you modify it. Test each change and make note of the results, then revert the file to its original form in order to decrease the likelihood of your changes affecting other users.

This will be a little cumbersome because it's hard to provide this kind of support remotely, so bear with me.

First, edit lib/pkp/classes/file/FileManager.inc.php and find the "uploadFile" function:
Code: Select all
function uploadFile($fileName, $destFileName) {
Insert just below that line:
Code: Select all
die("uploadFile $fileName $destFileName; " . ($this->fileExists(dirname($destFileName, 'dir'))?'dir exists':'dir does not exist'));
Test a file upload and report the error message you receive, if any. (Then, as noted above, revert this change.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby michael_clj » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:00 am

Daniel and Alec, I don't know if this helps to assess the problem or not, but I received an e-mail from a potential author this a.m.:
> When I click on the link to register for manuscript submission, I'm taken to a "404 Not Found" page.

I checked and -- sure enough: http://www.communityliteracy.org/index. ... r/register

Could this be related, maybe?

Best,
Michael
michael_clj

Postby Dan » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:46 am

Alex,

I changed the file, did a test upload, and got this message:

uploadFile file /home/communi/files/journals/1/articles/237/submission/original/testfile.docx; dir does not exist

Then reverted the changes.

-Dan
Dan

Postby michael_clj » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:58 am

Alec and Dan -- thank you both very much for looking into this and for hanging in there with it!

Best,
Michael
michael_clj

Postby asmecher » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:03 am

Hi Dan,

What do you see in your classes/submission/sectionEditor/SectionEditorAction.inc.php in the uploadEditorVersion file? Please post the entire contents of that function.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby Dan » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:44 am

Alec,

I think this is what you mean?

function uploadEditorVersion($sectionEditorSubmission, $request) {
import('classes.file.ArticleFileManager');
$articleFileManager = new ArticleFileManager($sectionEditorSubmission->getId());
$sectionEditorSubmissionDao =& DAORegistry::getDAO('SectionEditorSubmissionDAO');
$user =& $request->getUser();

$fileName = 'upload';
if ($articleFileManager->uploadedFileExists($fileName) && !HookRegistry::call('SectionEditorAction::uploadEditorVersion', array(&$sectionEditorSubmission))) {
if ($sectionEditorSubmission->getEditorFileId() != null) {
$fileId = $articleFileManager->uploadEditorDecisionFile($fileName, $sectionEditorSubmission->getEditorFileId());
} else {
$fileId = $articleFileManager->uploadEditorDecisionFile($fileName);
}
}

if (isset($fileId) && $fileId != 0) {
$sectionEditorSubmission->setEditorFileId($fileId);

$sectionEditorSubmissionDao->updateSectionEditorSubmission($sectionEditorSubmission);

// Add log
import('classes.article.log.ArticleLog');
ArticleLog::logEvent($request, $sectionEditorSubmission, ARTICLE_LOG_EDITOR_FILE, 'log.editor.editorFile', array('fileId' => $sectionEditorSubmission->getEditorFileId()));
}
}
Dan

Postby asmecher » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:05 am

Hi Dan,

Hmm, something strange is happening here.

In SectionEditorAction::uploadEditorVersion, $fileName is set to "upload".

This is passed into ArticleFileManager::uploadEditorDecisionFile; from there, into ArticleFileManager::handleUpload; from there into FileManager::uploadFile.

In the "die" statement we added earlier, $fileName came out as "file" instead of "upload".

Are you sure there are no modifications to any of those functions? Can you see where $fileName is getting changed?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby Dan » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:22 am

Alec,

Honestly, I have no idea. We haven't modified anything except the CSS. I've never touched this file before the die statement.

-Dan
Dan

Postby asmecher » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:27 am

Hi Dan,

I'd suggest tracking $fileName across the functions listed above to see where it changes from "upload" to "file".

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby michael_clj » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:11 am

Thank you, Alec! We're genuinely grateful for your patience and guidance here.

And thank you, Dan, for being on top of it!
I'll alert authors and the ed. board this afternoon that we are making progress; they've been hovering.

Thanks again --

Best,
Michael
michael_clj

Postby Dan » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:48 am

Alec,

Sorry, I was away from my desk for a time... I'm not sure what you mean. (Like I say, my knowledge of PHP is incredibly limited.) How would one go about tracking that?

-Dan
Dan

Postby asmecher » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:00 am

Hi Dan,

You'd need to look at each file mentioned above in sequence:
  • classes/submission/sectionEditor/SectionEditorAction.inc.php in the "uploadEditorVersion" function
  • classes/file/ArticleFileManager.inc.php in the handleUpload function
  • lib/pkp/classes/file/FileManager.inc.php in the handleUpload function
Watch for the $fileName parameter, which passes through each of those functions, to change value from "upload" (set in the first function on the list) to "file" (as seen in the "die" statement you added earlier).

I suspect some kind of modification has crept in -- one way to determine that would be to compare each of these functions against a fresh copy from the .tar.gz file. Personally, I'd use "diff" to accomplish this, but if you're not familiar with the command line it might be easier to just inspect the files.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby Dan » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:19 am

Alec,

The only time the value is set to anything specific is in the SectionEditorAction file, where it's:

$fileName = 'upload';

There's no time in any of the three files that it's specifically changed back to 'file.'

Would it be worth trying to replace the three files with versions straight from the .tar.gz file?
Dan

Postby asmecher » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:55 am

Hi Dan,

Hmm. I don't recommend replacing files just yet -- it might complicate matters. Is it possible that you transcribed the output from the die() statement above incorrectly?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

PreviousNext

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion