OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Moving a manuscript from Review --> Copyediting

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Moving a manuscript from Review --> Copyediting

Postby michael_clj » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:38 am

Greetings --

I have a manuscript that has been reviewed and accepted. The review version uploads fine, but when I try to move it along to Copyediting, there's no obvious place to upload and send. (See attached screen capture?) I don't recall this being a problem in the past: we would accept, upload a copyediting version, and send it along to Step 1 in copyediting.

Am I missing a step, or has something changed?

Thank you so much, in advance.

Best,
Michael
Community Literacy Journal
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-04-18 at 9.34.38 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-04-18 at 9.34.38 AM.png (41.47 KiB) Viewed 908 times
michael_clj

Re: Moving a manuscript from Review --> Copyediting

Postby asmecher » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:08 pm

Hi Michael,

It's not as clear as it could be -- but you should be able to either upload and then select a new file under "Editor Version", or select the existing file beside "Review Version", before clicking "Send to Copyediting".

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby michael_clj » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:38 pm

Alec, thank you so much for taking the time to respond. We had to get the previous issue out by bypassing all of the copyediting steps because we cannot figure how to move the manuscripts from Review --> Copyediting.

I tried your instructions -- they are very clear, thank you! -- but there is no button to select next to Editor Version. See attached. We're on to the next issue now, and the same problem is occurring.

Does this make sense? We've tried "Accepting" the ms. several times, as you'll see in the attached screen capture.

Thanks again --

Best,
Michael
Screen Shot 2014-06-12 at 4.30.44 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-06-12 at 4.30.44 PM.png (49.38 KiB) Viewed 758 times
michael_clj

Postby asmecher » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:48 pm

Hi Michael,

Ah, the screenshots make it much clearer -- I didn't see those before.

Am I correct that the radio button beside "Review Version" is disabled?

What version of OJS are you using?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby michael_clj » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:46 am

Thank you so much for following up, Alec -- we're really grateful here.

We're using version 2.4.4.

The radio button beside "Review Version" isn't disabled it's the Editor Version that we can't access. Our process: once we accept a submission, we want to send it to Editing ("Initial Copyedit"). But there's a note there that says, "File: Request email cannot be sent until file is selected for copyediting in Editor Decision, Review page." We just can't figure out how to move the manuscript file from the Review Page to the Editing Page.

Thanks again!

Best,
Michael
michael_clj

Postby asmecher » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:51 am

Hi Michael,

What happens if you upload a file using the Choose File/Upload tool beside Editor Version? Once you hit Upload, you should have an additional Editor version to select in order to Send to Copyediting.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby michael_clj » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:30 pm

Hi, Alec, from what I can tell, nothing happens. I made a short screencast -- http://screencast.com/t/vBQjMAOjIf -- I uploaded the file, but nothing seems to change or go anywhere.

Thanks again so much for looking into this.

Best,
Michael
michael_clj

Postby asmecher » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:42 pm

Hi Michael,

Ah, that does help. It looks like OJS is failing to "stick" the upload. When this happens, it's usually one of two possibilities:
  • The file upload exceeds the size limit configured in PHP or your web server configuration.
  • There is a file permissions problem in your files directory, which is configured in your config.inc.php.
Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby michael_clj » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:51 pm

Thanks, Alec --

It's only a 79KB MSWord file, so I have to (safely?) assume it's not the first possibility.

If it's the second -- "a file permissions problem in your files directory" -- is there any documentation on how to fix that anywhere? We're pretty much English Majors here.

Thanks,
Michael
michael_clj

Postby asmecher » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:57 pm

Hi Michael,

File permissions are a common problem for OJS users, and unfortunately it's tough for us to give general instructions because each server is a little different. Once you have your OJS installation up and running the permissions should take care of themselves but sometimes a(n unannounced) server configuration change on the host's side will cause this to rear up.

The first question is where the files directory is. Look in your config.inc.php for the "files_dir" setting. This will tell you where OJS tries to keep submission files.

The second question is what your file permissions on that directory should be. See this FAQ entry for some information on what to check.

Permissions on that directory need to be set recursively -- meaning not just on the files directory itself, but all of its contents, including files and directories in subdirectories and so on.

If you want to test whether file uploads are working via another method, try the Journal Manager's "Files Browser". Find the folder where submission files for that submission are stored and try uploading the file that way. Note that this won't cause the uploaded file to appear in the workflow -- the files browser exclusively deals with the mechanics of moving files around and doesn't otherwise interact with the system -- but it'll help confirm whether or not you are experiencing file permissions problems.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby michael_clj » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:03 pm

We'll give that a go and report back, Alec -- thank you!

Best,
Michael
michael_clj

Postby Dan » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:33 am

Alec,

Hi, my name is Dan. I'm the journal manager. The files directory (along with all contents) is already set to 777.

-Dan
Dan

Postby asmecher » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:20 am

Hi Michael & Dan,

Have you tested using the Files Browser? (BTW, 777 permissions aren't safe -- they should be tightened up once we've figured out what the problem is in this case.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby Dan » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:43 am

Alex,

Yep, and I seem to be able to upload files through the file browser.

-Dan
Dan

Postby asmecher » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:22 am

Hi Dan,

OK, we're narrowing it down.

The next step will be much easier if the two of you are able to team up and determine where in the code the upload process is failing. The key function is in classes/submission/sectionEditor/SectionEditorAction.inc.php in the uploadEditorVersion function. The most likely problem there will be the call to classes/file/ArticleFileManager.inc.php::uploadEditorDecisionFile, which then calls ArticleFileManager::handleUpload.

I would suggest inserting some error_log calls in the code to trace its execution path and attempt to narrow down what's failing.

If you need more detailed instructions on how to do this, I can provide them.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Next

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion