OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Multilanguage journals

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Multilanguage journals

Postby viat » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:54 am

Dear PKP OJS Team,

We are working with journals where articles have been written in 2 different languages

a) Metadata (Title, author, abstract, etc.) is in 2 languages, texts of article is in 1 language
b) Metadata (Title, author, abstract, etc.) is in 2 languages, texts of them are in 2 languages
c) one article is in one language with the same language for metadata, another article is in another language with the same language for metadata

As far as I understand in your system we could use only option c).
We have to use 2 different forms to input information for the articles with the different languages.

Is it possible for the options a) and b) to switch between the languages using navigation block for languages?

/Kind regards
Viat
viat

Re: Multilanguage journals

Postby asmecher » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:10 am

Hi Viat,

The multilingual support should be good enough to accommodate all those possibilities. In Journal Setup, under Languages, make sure that the "Forms", "Submissions", and "UI" options are checked for each of the languages you wish to support.

Not all fields support multilingual content -- sometimes because it wouldn't make sense, like email addresses, and sometimes because it hasn't been a high enough priority yet, such as for author names. But the most relevant ones should already be capable.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby viat » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:20 am

Hi Alec,

What do you mean under checked when saying

“In Journal Setup, under Languages, make sure that the "Forms", "Submissions", and "UI" options are checked for each of the languages you wish to support.

1. I’ve checked 2 languages for the site as an Administrator
2. I’ve checked 2 languages for the Journal in Journal management page as Journal Manager (screenshot has been attached)

3. During Journal setup I’ve filled in forms for 2 languages.

4. Then as an Editor I created a new issue using forms for 2 languages.

5. As Journal Manager I am adding new article to this issue using plugin “Quick submit”

I am doing that first using a form for one language, then - for another.

6 After publishing this issue I can see 2 articles in 2 languages. (screenshot has been attached)
However I’d like to see only 1

They have, by the way, 2 different IDs

Where was I wrong?

/Kind regards
Viat
Attachments
multi_lang_problem.doc
(150.5 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
viat

Postby asmecher » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:41 pm

Hi Viat,

What version of OJS are you using?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby viat » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:41 pm

Hi Alec,

We are running version 2.4.3

/Kind regards
Viat
viat

Postby asmecher » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:05 am

Hi Viat,

Your multilingual setup looks fine.

You should see two "Language" pulldowns -- one on the sidebar, which controls the language you're viewing the website in, and one at the top of the QuickSubmit form (and other forms in the system), which controls the language you're entering data in. Ignore the pulldown on the sidebar for the moment. You can enter metadata in multiple languages by toggling between the options in the pulldown at the top of the form; when you finally submit the form, all the languages you entered should be filled in.

I don't believe the QuickSubmit plugin supports submissions themselves in multiple languages, but if you have multiple-language versions of the file itself, you can go back into the normal editorial workflow and upload the second Galley file there.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion