OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

restful urls not working, version 2.4.3

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Re: restful urls not working, version 2.4.3

Postby newbies » Fri May 02, 2014 9:34 am

After getting restful url to work for 2 months, I was told today by a visitor that they have problem accessing a particular link on the journal site. They saw a flash of the page then the browser displays a 404 page. I thought that is very weird. I then tested in IE, to my surprise, This really happens.

Since after getting this to work, I only tested in FF and Chrome, but not in IE.

What caused this not to work in IE and how to fix it???
newbies

Postby asmecher » Fri May 02, 2014 10:13 am

Hi newbies,

Can you post or PM a URL to your site that demonstrates this behavior? Also, if possible, please share your rewrite configuration.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby newbies » Fri May 02, 2014 11:03 am

Thank you Alec. Just sent PM.
newbies

Postby asmecher » Fri May 02, 2014 11:23 am

Hi newbies,

Thanks -- I can't run IE myself but I've passed this along to others on our dev team for a look.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby JasonNugent » Sat May 03, 2014 3:33 pm

Hi newbies,

Alec shared your .htaccess file with me and I think that one of your rules needs a small tweak. Can you make the first RewriteRule to be:

RewriteRule ^bladder(.*)$ /index.php/bladder$1 [LR]

(note the extra R in the conditions block).

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby newbies » Sun May 04, 2014 5:09 am

Thank you Jason.

i believe you mean [L,R], right? I tried adding the R either in the format of [LR] or [L,R], what I got is redirect looping in both FF and IE. Thus, it seems R could not be added.

Without adding R (my oirginal setting), the 404 redirect problem only occurs to IE 9, 8 but not IE10. IF I turn off (on by defualt) "display friendly error message", the problem disappears.

i really hate IE, what do ms keeps making such a crap??? I hope to see its market share go to zero.
newbies

Postby JasonNugent » Mon May 05, 2014 2:54 am

Hi newbies,

Your comment about turning off disabling friendly error messages is illuminating. Have you examined your Apache error logs for 404 (file not found) pages? I wonder if IE is trying to load a supplementary file like a CSS file or a JavaScript file, hitting a 404, and then displaying the 404. I've seen that happen with the .ico files that show up in the browser URL bar occasionally.

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby newbies » Mon May 05, 2014 8:31 am

Hi Jason,

I think you may right. The only 404 page is this: /journal/plugins/themes/classicGreen/PIE.htc (92 hits). The URL actually is non exist (there "journal" in at the beginning is unwanted. I don't have an IE 9 or 8 to test. i believe you helped me find the culprit. Will let you once it is fixed.

Thank you!
newbies

Postby newbies » Mon May 05, 2014 4:31 pm

Hi Jason,

you are absolutely right! Thank you soooooooooooooooooo much!

It turns out that a link in a linked css is broken, and IE immediately redirect the page it already loaded to 404. Why cannot the stupid IE just silently ignore the broken link as do FF and Chroma? Let's wait to celebrate the death of IE sometime next year!
newbies

Previous

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion