OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

OJS should be used for subscription-based journals too?

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

OJS should be used for subscription-based journals too?

Postby kocsort » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:27 am

We just heard about the Open Journal System software and according to all information we read it seems to be extremely useful and user-friendly software for online submitting and peer-reviewing.
We are a small Publisher, but our journals are NOT freely available, they are NOT open accessed.
The submitting and peer-review system we use right now is very expensive for us and we are wondering if could be possible to use your Open Journal System software as an alternative solution. I read the license but it is still unclear for me if this Open Journal System software should/should not be used for subscription-based journals?!
Thank you in advance!
Tibor
kocsort

Re: OJS should be used for subscription-based journals too?

Postby asmecher » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:26 am

Hi Tibor,

There is no requirement that journals published with OJS be made open access; there's a suite of subscription management tools for subscription journals too. We encourage open access, but journals are free to do what they like.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Re: OJS should be used for subscription-based journals too?

Postby kocsort » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:02 pm

Dear Mr. Smecher,

Thank you very much.
I had the impression, but I was not sure in this…

Thanking you and regards,
Tibor
kocsort

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion