OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Printed version of journal: how to create and where to put

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Printed version of journal: how to create and where to put

Postby albieback » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:33 pm

Dear friends,

I am evaluating OJS and studying as a solution for implementing it as a solution for my organization.

My question has two parts:

1 - I just finished OJS User guide, but something didn't get clear to me: if we are going to create a journal with both online and printed version, how is the printed version to be created? The layout editor (for instance) is supposed to edit the complete printed version in a external application (like Acrobat)?

2 - What if we wanted to create a big PDF with the "printed version galley", which would encompass the whole issue, with all articles, page numbering etc? Where should we put it on the journal site?

Thanks.
albieback

Re: Printed version of journal: how to create and where to p

Postby asmecher » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:54 am

Hi albieback,

1) All creation of publication content for the end user (HTML, PDF, etc.) needs to be done using external tools. Once you reach the Layout stage of the OJS editorial workflow, you'l have a copy of the article (typically .docx or .odt) that's ready for layout work to begin; you can use a tool like InDesign to generate a PDF suitable for online publication and for print use at the same time. Then your print workflow can continue from there outside of OJS.

2) Recent releases of OJS support "issue galleys", which are PDF files containing all articles for the issue. Look for an upload field in the Editor's "Create/Edit Issue" interface.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion