OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki



A few questions before getting started

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

A few questions before getting started

Postby trauring » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:16 am

I'm interested in setting up a new journal online with OJS. Before I get started, however, I had a few questions.

Does OJS let me make certain articles in an issue free for everyone to view, while other must need a subscription? Can I give access to specific issues to specific people? i.e if someone contributes an article to an issue, can I give them access to that issue, or all issues that year?

For the peer-review process, is it possible for authors to rate their reviewers? and reviewers to rate their authors? I want a way to see which authors are good to work with, and which reviewers offer good reviewing skills and authors like to work with.

Can articles be released before the release on a new issue, but then be part of a future issue? Can articles exist outside of an issue?

Does the commenting system allow commenters to be rated? i.e. can good comments be uprated, and bad comments down-rated, and can I see which users have the most up-rated and the most down-rated comments?

If I also want to print the journal, what is the workflow for that? What about outputting to ebook formats?

Is there anyway to integrate the system with a smartphone app? i.e. Allow users to see be notified when new articles are posted, when new issues come out, when comments of theirs receive responses, etc. and allow them to read articles, comment on them, etc.

If I want to charge for access to the journal, or parts of the journal, can payment systems are supported?

Thank you in advance,

Philip
trauring
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:05 am

Re: A few questions before getting started

Postby mnason » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:08 pm

Hi Philip,

I'd be happy to do my best to answer some of your questions.

trauring wrote:Does OJS let me make certain articles in an issue free for everyone to view, while other must need a subscription? Can I give access to specific issues to specific people? i.e if someone contributes an article to an issue, can I give them access to that issue, or all issues that year?


If you have subscriptions on, you have the option of making individual articles or issues open access, and you can even do so with a delayed system that lets you set the amount of time that passes before they become open access. In terms of making things available to specific users, that's a little more tricky. It's possible to set up a "membership" that grants free access to members of the journal. You can also grant users subscriptions whenever you like. However, there currently is no way to grant individual users access to individual issues.

trauring wrote:For the peer-review process, is it possible for authors to rate their reviewers? and reviewers to rate their authors? I want a way to see which authors are good to work with, and which reviewers offer good reviewing skills and authors like to work with.


Editors can rate reviewers, but not authors. This can be turned in section 2.2 of the Setup as a Journal Manager.

trauring wrote:Can articles be released before the release on a new issue, but then be part of a future issue? Can articles exist outside of an issue?


Articles are currently tied to the publication of an issue. Some editors have worked around this by created placeholder "issues" for things like pre-prints. They would likely lack volume or issue numbers and not be flagged as the "current issue". It's likely we'll look into creating a slightly different workflow for articles in the future given the increased popularity of pre-prints in academic journals.

trauring wrote:Does the commenting system allow commenters to be rated? i.e. can good comments be uprated, and bad comments down-rated, and can I see which users have the most up-rated and the most down-rated comments?


As far as I know, the comment system is not that fully featured.

trauring wrote:If I also want to print the journal, what is the workflow for that? What about outputting to ebook formats?


OJS doesn't print straight out of the software. It does include copyediting and proofreading and layout workflow so final copies of the files could be managed inside the same workflow as the review process. OJS uses galleys for viewing files, which means that users will be opening HTML, PDF, or whatever file you open from the table of contents. It doesn't support ePub or MOBI export because the metadata wouldn't be rich enough. If those files were uploaded to OJS, users would be able to download them and open them that way, however.

trauring wrote:Is there anyway to integrate the system with a smartphone app? i.e. Allow users to see be notified when new articles are posted, when new issues come out, when comments of theirs receive responses, etc. and allow them to read articles, comment on them, etc.


PKP doesn't have an official OJS app for iOS or Android. A small number of folks have developed their own apps. However, users can be notified within OJS on release of new issues.

trauring wrote:If I want to charge for access to the journal, or parts of the journal, can payment systems are supported?


OJS supports payments through PayPal. The documentation on this can be found here: http://pkp.sfu.ca/wiki/index.php/Using_ ... S_Payments

I hope I have answered some of your questions. There's plenty of documentation available at the following:

http://pkp.sfu.ca/ojs/ojs_documentation/(OJS Documentation)
http://pkpschool.sfu.ca/ (PKP School with lessons on using OJS)
http://pkp.sfu.ca/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page (the PKP wiki)

Thanks!
Mike
mnason
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:09 am
Location: Fredericton, New Brunswick


Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron