OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Selecting authors when using Quick submit

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Selecting authors when using Quick submit

Postby azdking » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:31 pm

Hello
I'm new in the OJS world, I have two questions :
when using the quick submit plugin, is there a possibility to choose authors already registered ?
the seconde is : why we don't find the authors used in quick submit form when we browse a journal by author for example ?.
thank you
azdking

Re: Selecting authors when using Quick submit

Postby asmecher » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:15 am

Hi azdking,

Currently user and author records are kept separately, and author records are unique to each article. (This is to ensure that the editorial history of author information is preserved even when e.g. an author changes their last name or institution.) In the future we'll be working on plans to support author disambiguation and provide more options.

As for the author index, it's cached -- you can either flush your data cache as Site Administrator or wait for the cache to expire within 24 hours.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby azdking » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:36 pm

Thanks asmecher but
I tried clearing the data cache, and I still can't Browse Athors. even when I click on 'all' in the Browse Author Index, it doesn't show any of the authors.
is that because all athors in my Ojs are from Quick Submit plugin. ???
thanks again for helping...
azdking

Postby asmecher » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:50 pm

Hi azdking,

Have you checked whether the articles are available to users via the published journal front-end? It's worth checking when logged out, or if you require subscription access, with a user who is not an editorial user -- those are always granted access. Content must be published and available before authors will show up in the author list.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby azdking » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:25 pm

Hi asmecher, thanks again
here is the link to my ojs : http://80.246.8.22/revue/index.php/st/
and yes : the articles are available to users via the published journal front-end.
azdking

Postby asmecher » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:18 pm

Hi azdking,

Have you made any modifications to the system? I'm having trouble duplicating that behavior locally.

The query that generates the content for the author list is implemented in classes/article/AuthorDAO.inc.php in the getAuthorsAlphabetizedByJournal function, e.g. for users with the last initial 'A':
Code: Select all
SELECT DISTINCT
                                CAST('' AS CHAR) AS url,
                                0 AS author_id,
                                0 AS submission_id,
                                0 AS primary_contact,
                                0 AS seq,
                                aa.first_name,
                                aa.middle_name,
                                aa.last_name,
                                CASE WHEN asl.setting_value = '' THEN NULL ELSE SUBSTRING(asl.setting_value FROM 1 FOR 255) END AS affiliation_l,
                                asl.locale,
                                CASE WHEN aspl.setting_value = '' THEN NULL ELSE SUBSTRING(aspl.setting_value FROM 1 FOR 255) END AS affiliation_pl,
                                aspl.locale AS primary_locale,
                                CASE WHEN aa.country = '' THEN NULL ELSE aa.country END AS country
                        FROM    authors aa
                                LEFT JOIN author_settings aspl ON (aa.author_id = aspl.author_id AND aspl.setting_name = 'affiliation' AND aspl.locale = 'fr_CA')
LEFT JOIN author_settings asl ON (aa.author_id = asl.author_id AND asl.setting_name = 'affiliation' AND asl.locale = 'fr_CA')
                                JOIN articles a ON (a.article_id = aa.submission_id AND a.status = 3)
                                JOIN published_articles pa ON (pa.article_id = a.article_id)
                                JOIN issues i ON (pa.issue_id = i.issue_id AND i.published = 1)
                        WHERE
                                (aa.last_name IS NOT NULL AND aa.last_name <> '')
                                AND LOWER(aa.last_name) LIKE LOWER('a%')
                        ORDER BY aa.last_name, aa.first_name';
Can you try that query, then try relaxing some of the constraints on it until you start seeing content appearing? (If you're not familiar with SQL, please PM me and maybe I can arrange to get a database dump.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby azdking » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:41 pm

Thanks a lot Alec Smecher
I will try the query that generates the content for the author.
and i tell you the results.

http://revue.umc.edu.dz
azdking

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion