OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Letting Author see review

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Letting Author see review

Postby mel » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:30 am

Hi,
Sometimes when a reviewer uploads a review there is a checkbox to allow the author to see it; at other times an icon appears that looks like a thought bubble in a comic strip. The review is there, but there is no box to permit the author to see it.

I have been working around, pasting the review into a word document and sending it to the author as an email attachment,.

What is happening? can i fix it?

thank you,
mel
mel

Re: Letting Author see review

Postby asmecher » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:04 pm

Hi Mel,

Reviewers following the formal review process should always have a checkbox permitting the Editor to import the comments when emailing the review to the Author. I wonder if authors not seeing that checkbox are using another tool to email the editor directly, rather than the process intended for the peer review. If you have screenshots, that would help me identify exactly what's happening.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby asmecher » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:24 pm

Hi Mel,

On further thought: are you using review forms? That could account for the difference between authors being sent to a generic text box vs. authors being sent to a manager-constructed form. When creating a review form, the Manager has the chance to designate form elements as private vs. suitable for sharing with the reviewer. I suspect you've set some of the fields there as private, which is why they're not getting included.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby mel » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:42 am

Hi Alec,

I created a review form using the OJS software for that purpose- radio buttons and text boxes. If I made it "private" I was unaware, so tell me how to let them see it.

There is a recommendation, so reviewers are clicking on that appropriately.

The attachment includes screenshots from 3 reviews. Clicking on the "thought bubble" opens the form, but authors don't see that. Only when the reviewer uploads a supplementary form as they sometimes do, e.g., the article with comments added to it, does the check box to let authors see the review appear.
Attachments
screenshots.docx
Screen shots of 3 reviews
(117.38 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
mel

Postby asmecher » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:59 am

Hi Mel,

When using the review forms (as your screenshots show), authors are not permitted to choose whether or not particular form elements can be shared with the Editor -- only the Journal Manager can do that, and it's done at the time the review form is created. Once a review form is active, it cannot be edited, for fear of compromising the integrity of past reviews. To change whether or not an element is potentially shared with authors, you'll need to go into the database directly. The relevant table is called "review_form_elements" and the flag permitting or restricting inclusion in the emails to authors is called "included".

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby mel » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:52 am

Thank you, Alec.

Please clarify for me: It is my intention only to permit authors to see the reviews, if I go to "review_form_elements" and flag "included",

1. will authors be able to see the review when they log in?
2. will the integrity of any reviews be compromised, i.e., someone will be able to change contents?.

mel
mel

Postby asmecher » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:11 am

Hi mel,

Authors only see reviews as explicitly mediated by Editors. For review forms, just like for text-based review comments, this is done via the Editor's email to convey review results to Authors. When the Editor hits "Import peer reviews" while composing that message, OJS will bring the review contents into the email draft; the Editor will then be required to work through those comments in the email body, and when they hit Send, only then will the review comments be sent to the Editor -- and only via that email's text body. The role of the "included" flag is only for the Editor's convenience, as it limits which review form elements are brought into the text body.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby mel » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:30 pm

Thank you, Alec.
Enjoy the holiday. (Is Thanksgiving a holiday in Canada?)
mel
mel

Postby asmecher » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:50 pm

Hi Mel,

We already had Canadian Thanksgiving -- but maybe I'll find some turkey for cross-border solidarity.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion