OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Inactive review form still selected when assigning reviewers

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Inactive review form still selected when assigning reviewers

Postby aleskl » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:12 am

Hello,

I have a problem with inactive review forms that still get assigned to reviewers when they are assigned anew for a review of a particular paper. I have two review forms, both are inactive, but were used before for submitting reviews, but we then decided to go back to the default two text-boxes review form.

Review forms are inactive in the Journal management - Review Forms, and for all journal sections I reset the Review form field to None / Free Form review. But the last used review form still gets assigned to the newly selected reviewers, also for new submissions that were started after I changed the above settings for review forms. I can't deactivate the last used review form and it's driving me nuts, and the editor has to Clear the review form for every new reviewer. I you can help me with this I'll be most grateful!

Regards,
Ales
aleskl

Re: Inactive review form still selected when assigning revie

Postby aleskl » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:31 am

Hi!

Maybe I should describe the problem with review forms more in detail.

We're using OJS 2.4.2.0. The problem bugging us is this: When the editor selects a reviewer, the reviewer gets automatically assigned a review form, but the review type should be None / Freeform review.

In the past we used two review forms, I have also set the default review form in the Journal Sections under Journal Management. Later we decided to ditch the review form and use Freeform again. I deactivated the review form under Review Forms in Journal Management, and set the review form to None / Free form review in the Journal Management > Journal Sections for all sections in our journal. But the inactive form still gets assigned automatically to the newly assigned reviewers. I have waited for some new submissions to see if the review form gets assigned already at the time of paper submission, but it's the same, reviewers still get assigned an inactive form by default.

I tried to locate the code where the review form gets assigned when selecting a reviewer, but I'm lost (again). Maybe it's a database issue, something left from previous versions - I've had some problems with upgrading once, so maybe there are some tables left from some old version...

Best regards,
Ales
aleskl

Postby asmecher » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:50 am

Hi Ales,

I'm not sure how this is happening unless you do have a review form set for your section. I'd suggest investigating in classes/submission/sectionEditor/SectionEditorAction.inc.php -- in the "addReviewer" function, which is called when the Editor or Section Editor wants to assign an Editor, there's a check to see whether a Review Form is designated for the Section. If so, that's where it's assigned for the review.
Code: Select all
$sectionId = $sectionEditorSubmission->getSectionId();
$section =& $sectionDao->getSection($sectionId, $journalId);
if ($section && ($reviewFormId = (int) $section->getReviewFormId())) {
    if ($reviewFormDao->reviewFormExists($reviewFormId, ASSOC_TYPE_JOURNAL, $journalId)) {
        $reviewAssignment->setReviewFormId($reviewFormId);
    }
}
Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby aleskl » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:35 am

Thank you Alec for pointing me!

For now, I have just commented out the if sentence that gets reviewFormId from the section ($section->getReviewFormId()), and this fixed the problem, the reviewer now gets the "None / Free form" review form assigned. But it's a dirty fix that disables form usage in the future, so I have to figure out what is written in the $section. I guess the ReviewFormId is written in the database for the respective journal sections?

Thanks again,
Ales
aleskl

Postby asmecher » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:46 am

Hi Ales,

Yes, it's the review_form_id column in the "sections" table.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby aleskl » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:46 am

Thanks Alec!

I've checked the database and three sections contained a non-null entry under the review_form_id column. I edited them to contain NULL, and this worked, the default review form is now None/Freeform. Thanks again for helping me! However, I have no idea why this happened, and why it can't be changed from the Setup interface for the sections, but I'm happy now with the fix, when the code is back to what it was.

Cheers,
Ales
aleskl

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion