OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Changing 'journal search' options

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Changing 'journal search' options

Postby emilymfg » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:42 pm

Hi there, I've just published my first journal issue on OJS -- quite a lot to get to grips with, but it seems to be working okay so far (fingers crossed)!

We've opted not to include full html text of the various articles, but PDFs instead. However in the 'Journal search' dialog in the sidebar, the user is offered the choice to search by 'Authors', 'Title', 'Abstract', 'Index Terms', and 'Full Text'. Is there a way to remove the 'Full Text' option? I'm just concerned that it's a bit misleading, since you can't actually search by full text since the articles are PDFs...

many thanks
Emily
emilymfg

Re: Changing 'journal search' options

Postby vgabler » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:51 am

Hi,

Without direct changes to the code, it's not possible to remove the full text search functionality as an option. However, even though you aren't publishing an HTML version of your articles, the full text of the PDFs should still be searchable if the PDFs have been created with the text OCRed. Almost all of our journals publish only in PDF format, but we create our PDFs with OCR enabled so that the text is still searchable.

All best,
Vanessa Gabler
vgabler

Postby emilymfg » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:40 pm

Hi Vanessa - thanks for your response. I don't think that the text was OCRd when the PDFS were produced (I created them from InDesign). Can you enable OCR'd text from within InDesign, or is this done afterwards (in Acrobat Pro or something similar)?

many thanks! Emily
emilymfg

Postby vgabler » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:10 am

Hi,

I can't provide specific instructions for ensuring the PDF output from InDesign is searchable because we do not use that program, but I do know that it is possible. In Adobe Professional, there is an option for converting an existing PDF (or when creating a new PDF) to searchable text using OCR. Under the document tab, there is an option for OCR Text Recognition. Choose from the expanded menu Recognizing Text Using OCR. This will convert the PDF to a searchable file.

All best,
Vanessa Gabler
vgabler

Postby asmecher » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:03 am

Hi all,

OCR is only an issue in scanned documents; when creating a PDF, typically they are searchable by default, though it's possible to intentionally obscure the text from abstraction. To test, try using a tool like pdftotext manually to see what comes out of the document and how intelligible it is.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion