OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Problems with HTML in Journal Description Box

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Problems with HTML in Journal Description Box

Postby Realitas » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:31 am

Dear Ojs friends,
first of all I must mention the fact that I am a completely newbie to OJS, but I was able to install it and make it run successfully, and this first step is ok.
I like very much OJS, and I am building step by step my ideal journal interface.

A problem that seems unsolvable to me is the following:

days ago, under the box about Journal Description in the Jornal Management Setup Page (in the "Step 5. Customizing the look" menu), I saw some possible buttons. One of those buttons was HTML, but when I clicked the TinyMCE plugin seemed not present, there was an error. On the other side, I had anyway read in the guide that I could insert HTML text inside the box, but the tags seemed to be recognized as normal text (verysimply, I wanted to center the text of Journal Description by using the basic <p align="center> </p> tag). In addition, today I am not seeing any button under the box anymore, and besides the HTML tags are still unrecognized.

This is starting to become very frustrating... can you help me?

Thanks in advance
Adalberto
Realitas

Re: Problems with HTML in Journal Description Box

Postby asmecher » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:00 am

Hi Adalberto,

Can you include more information, like screenshots or text of error messages?

BTW, there is a cache file related to TinyMCE that needs to be flushed if you've changed your journal's URL during the installation process; it's a .gz file in the cache/ directory. If you have moved your installation, delete that file in order to cause it to be regenerated.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby Realitas » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:59 am

Hi Alec,
thanks for your reply.

First of all, I flushed the .gz in cache/ directory, as you suggested.
There was a little improvement: as you can see in screenshot 2, I can see the "Upload an image" button under the box now, at least. But some days ago, I could see also at least a Bold, an Italic, and a HTML button too...

Anyway, the main problem is still there: I simply wanted to center the journal description in homepage (see screenshot 1), but if I insert some html tags in the descrption box in the setup menu (as shown in screenshot 3), the result is that those tags are unrecognized and are ahown as normal text in the homepage (as shown in screenshot 4 in my next post).

I am quite sure it is caused by a naive mistake of mine, but I cant understand what it might be.

Thanks for your patience!

Adalberto
Attachments
screen3.jpg
screen3
screen3.jpg (266.09 KiB) Viewed 783 times
screen2.jpg
screen2
screen2.jpg (248.15 KiB) Viewed 783 times
screen1.jpg
Screen1
screen1.jpg (262.17 KiB) Viewed 783 times
Realitas

Postby Realitas » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:25 am

SEE THE POST ABOVE...

This is the screen 4
Attachments
screen4.jpg
screen4
screen4.jpg (267.59 KiB) Viewed 778 times
Realitas

Postby asmecher » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:53 am

Hi Adalberto,

After you deleted the .gz file, was it re-generated in the cache directory? If not, you probably need to fix your file permissions there.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby Realitas » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:02 am

Hi Alec,
no, actually, no new .gz file is in the directory now. What do I have to do?
Realitas

Postby asmecher » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:18 am

Hi Realitas,

Check file permissions on the cache/ directory and its contents. See http://pkp.sfu.ca/wiki/index.php/PKP_Frequently_Asked_Questions#I.27m_having_file_permission_problems.3B_how_should_I_set_file_permissions.3F.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion