OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Importing Excel User Data

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Importing Excel User Data

Postby jgill@alcorn.edu » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:06 am

First of all let me admit that I am a "user" and not a programmer. . . so for those of you who write code, please keep that in mind.

I'd like to import user information (first_name, middle_name, last_name, etc.) from an Excel spreadsheet using the journal manager's import function.

I just don't know how. It is obviously more complicated than savng the spreadsheet in xml format and trying to import. I've tried that and it didn't see the data. . . at least it did not display the data in the confirmation section of the import feature.

Am I going to have find a codewriter to handle this, or could I possible move up some available learning curve and do it myself?

Thanks.
jgill@alcorn.edu

Postby asmecher » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:48 pm

Hi Jgill,

There are many different kinds of XML, and you need to make sure you're using the right kind in order for OJS to import it correctly. The format needs to look like this, for example:
Code: Select all
<users>
 <user>
  <username>my_user_name</username>
  <password encrypted="plaintext">my_password</password>
  <first_name>my_first_name</first_name>
  <middle_name>my_middle_name</middle_name>
  <last_name>my_last_name</last_name>
  <affiliation>my_affiliation</affiliation>
  <email>my_address@my_site.com</email>
  <url>http://www.my_site.com</url>
  <phone>123-456-7890</phone>
  <fax>123-456-7891</fax>
  <mailing_address>123 456th Street, Vancouver, BC</mailing_address>
  <biography>This is my bio statement.</biography>
  <role type="author"/>
 </user>
 <user>
  <username>my_user_name2</username>
  <password encrypted="plaintext">my_password</password>
  <first_name>my_first_name2</first_name>
  <middle_name>my_middle_name2</middle_name>
  <last_name>my_last_name2</last_name>
  <affiliation>my_affiliation</affiliation>
  <email>my_address2@my_site.com</email>
  <url>http://www.my_site.com</url>
  <phone>123-456-7890</phone>
  <fax>123-456-7891</fax>
  <mailing_address>123 456th Street, Vancouver, BC</mailing_address>
  <biography>This is my bio statement.</biography>
  <role type="author"/>
 </user>
</users>
...repeating the whole <user> ... </user> sequence for each user you wish to import. You can omit many of the lines, such as <fax>123-456-7891</fax>, as this isn't a required field. You can also add several <role type="..."/> lines, one for each role the user has in OJS. The type can be "author", "reader", "subscriptionManager", "proofreader", "copyeditor", "reviewer", "layoutEditor", "sectionEditor", "editor", or "manager".

It might help to get a good XML editor, such as XMLSpy, and use the DTD file, which is available in the OJS archive in plugins/importexport/users/users.dtd; DTDs can be used to check to make sure that the XML file doesn't contain any errors.

Unfortunately, XML is a little technical by nature, so you might need to enlist some help with the import. The conversion from a spreadsheet to an XML document should be fairly quick for someone with XML experience.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Postby jgill@alcorn.edu » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:52 pm

Thanks,

Your response is very helpful. We have been able to work it out except for the password and the role. I thing with what you gave us we can fix those.

jgill
jgill@alcorn.edu

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion