OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Best way to edit core files

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Best way to edit core files

Postby ojsearch » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:57 pm

Hello,

I want to change footer position, remove some menus from top navigation bar and make some other small changes.
Everywhere I looked I couldn't find any information how to properly edit .tpl files, do I really need to "hack" these files?

For example in other CMS like joomla you need to create html folder in which you put all view files you edited.
If I really have to edit core items what happens with these .tpl files after an update but if there is some other way let me know.
ojsearch

Re: Best way to edit core files

Postby asmecher » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:56 am

Hi ojsearch,

The problem with putting modified copies of core files in a separate location is that our recommended methods of managing customizations (git and diff/patch) won't know to look for the modified copies in a different location during upgrade. You'd have to merge the changes in yourself.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby ojsearch » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:19 am

So if I understood correctly, you recommend editing core .tpl files directly,
but what happens after an update?
How to prevent modification back to the original?
ojsearch

Postby asmecher » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:17 am

Hi ojsearch,

See e.g. this user guide section.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion