OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Blank Pages

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Blank Pages

Postby masrook » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:40 pm

Hello,

I guess I was silly because I cleared template cache. Since then all the pages are blank. Can anyone suggest me what to do so that i can restore my journal back and pages load as they used to.
http://thirdfront.in/ojs/index.php/tjhss/index

Would it be useful to reinstall OJS but wonder whether i will loose the data or not. I don't want to loose the data.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Masrook
masrook

Re: Blank Pages

Postby fredjansen » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:01 am

I installed OJS 2.4.2 in Suse Enterprise Linux 11 SP-2 with Apache2 2.2.12 and PHP 5.2.14 and Mysql 5.0.95. In this environment, i am receiving Blank pages with error 500 in apache2. I want to know what information I have to collect to discover what's happening with this installation.

I saw many solutions in this site but i don't solve my problem.

I hope that we send me a solution.

tks,

Fred
fredjansen

Postby asmecher » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:54 am

Hi Masrook/Fred,

Masrook, check the file permissions on your cache/ subdirectory and all its subdirectories. I suspect they are incorrect. (See docs/README for details.)

Fred, please don't hijack existing threads with new topics. Check your server's error log for details, and let us know what you've already tried.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby fredjansen » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:08 am

Alec,

thank you for your response but i have a question about architeture. I tried to install OJS in Suse Enterprise Linux 11 SP-2 64 Bits. 64 Bits environment can be a problem or it doesn't matter?

tks,

Fred
fredjansen

Postby asmecher » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:32 am

Hi Fred,

PHP scripts won't care about a 64-bit environment; it should run without problems.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby fredjansen » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:15 pm

Alec,

What logs could i have to see?

I saw apache2 log error, access log. Is this enough?

tks,

Fred
fredjansen

Postby asmecher » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:23 pm

Hi Fred,

You'll have to look at your PHP configuration to find out where it sends its errors to. It might be the Apache error log, or it might be a different file. It'll depend on your server.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby fredjansen » Thu May 02, 2013 7:51 am

Alec,

What do i have to do to php generate logs to analyze?

I have to change php.ini to generate logs in specific files?

What to do ?

tks,

Fred
fredjansen

Postby asmecher » Thu May 02, 2013 8:21 am

Hi Fred,

PHP will log its errors somewhere; looking at your php.ini should tell you where.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby fredjansen » Thu May 02, 2013 10:49 am

Alec,

i have some questions for you.

1) Is ojs 2.4.2 stable to install?
2) Related with this error "Blank Pages", What is most common error related with blank pages?
3) I tried to execute installation page again and nothing was generated in php log that I configured. Where can i see the error, in apache logs or others locations?

tks,

Fred
fredjansen

Postby asmecher » Thu May 02, 2013 11:24 am

Hi Fred,

1) Yes, it's flagged stable on the download page and ought to be stable.
2) File permissions in cache/, and missing MySQL modules in php.ini. See the FAQ.
3) As above, PHP will direct error messages where it's configured to in php.ini. This will vary from server to server but is always configured in php.ini.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion