I recently spent a great deal of time trying to get Docvert and Lemon8 XML going on my server. Because of complications caused by SELinux (I don't blame the L8X or Docvert guys, especially Matthew Holloway, who put a ton of time in for me.), I eventually set that project aside. However, I'd gotten familiar enough with OOo (OpenOffice.org) PHP, Python, etc, that I decided to create my own. I don't know how many people are looking for DOC -> PDF conversion for their journals, but if there is demand, I would write up my experiences and be happy to help out others.
I added some code to the conversion process to strip out meta data on the PDFs being generated to encourage anonymity.
I haven't looked into integrating this process into OJS yet, but provided a bit of time may do that.
You can try it out at:http://convert.culanth.org/
Currently it limits uploads to 2MB. If you have a conversion fail, please feel free to PM me and paste in the error messages that you received.