OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

DOC to PDF Generation...

Forum for PKP's Lemon8-XML.

Moderators: jmacgreg, mj

Forum rules
Questions about Lemon8-XML testing and development can go here. You may also want to check out our Lemon8 page.

DOC to PDF Generation...

Postby codonnell » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:11 am

I recently spent a great deal of time trying to get Docvert and Lemon8 XML going on my server. Because of complications caused by SELinux (I don't blame the L8X or Docvert guys, especially Matthew Holloway, who put a ton of time in for me.), I eventually set that project aside. However, I'd gotten familiar enough with OOo (OpenOffice.org) PHP, Python, etc, that I decided to create my own. I don't know how many people are looking for DOC -> PDF conversion for their journals, but if there is demand, I would write up my experiences and be happy to help out others.

I added some code to the conversion process to strip out meta data on the PDFs being generated to encourage anonymity.

I haven't looked into integrating this process into OJS yet, but provided a bit of time may do that.

You can try it out at:
http://convert.culanth.org/

Currently it limits uploads to 2MB. If you have a conversion fail, please feel free to PM me and paste in the error messages that you received.

Best.
Casey
codonnell

Re: DOC to PDF Generation...

Postby tarek » Sat May 09, 2009 7:09 pm

I know this is a bit of a sidenote, but I had tremendous trouble both installing and maintaining docvert on my server. In the end, I realized that a) You can use google docs if you are not against using closed source proprietary software and having a dubious company access and read all your data; or b) convert to ODT within OOo yourself and put it through Lemon8

tarek : )
tarek

Postby nozomiscience » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:18 pm

Finnally I Installed “l8x” on my server at: http://www.myserver.com/lemon/app.
I instaled FOP inside vendors. Also I installed Docvert, but it is very complex, because it needs more additional software as OOo.
Then I decided to install OOo in my computer and open Word documents with Open Office. Then I save them as Open Documents and upload this version without configuring “Document Conversion Settings”. In this way the document upload correctly with few mistakes. Then I edited metadata and citation and went to step 4. Here is my problem. I tried to “Preview PDF”, and the system show the following error:

Error: JAVA_HOME is not defined correctly.
We cannot execute java

I think, this is a simple missconfiguration at FOP.

Could somebody help me on this matter?

jhim
nozomiscience

Postby vlilloh » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:42 am

I have this doubt too.. :)
vlilloh

Postby mj » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:23 am

Hi all,

In order to use FOP (which is a Java application) to generate PDF previews, you'll have to have a Java Runtime Environment (JRE) installed on your system. There are a number of binaries that can be installed on desktop systems, but server systems can be more complex due to licensing issues (notably Debian and Ubuntu, but several Linux flavours). Typically once a JRE is installed, it will set the JAVA_HOME environment setting, which will let FOP determine how to access Java. I would suggest contacting your system administrator to follow up on getting a JRE installed, and let us know how it goes once you have.

Hope this helps,
MJ
mj
Site Admin

Postby alnazmin » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:31 am

Hi MJ and all,

thanks for the great software.

Regarding to the same issue, I am using

centos x86_64 and (openjdk x86_64 and I also tried sun - jdk1.6.0_17)

while I try to preview the documents in PDF there were error message said

Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM warning: Attempt to allocate stack guard pages failed.<br />
Error occurred during initialization of VM<br />
Could not reserve enough space for code cache

to make sure it's not FOP problem. I tried to use ver 0.94 and 0.95. Both showed the same problem.

Any help and idea?
alnazmin

Postby alnazmin » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:48 am

After took some times, the solution for my problem above is:

1) in the file mime.types (usually in /etc/mime.types) - Replace "application/pdf" to "application/x-pdf"
2) comment the 3rd row Acrobat section in file magic (usually in /etc/apache2 or /etc/httpd/conf/)

# Acrobat
# (due to clamen@cs.cmu.edu)
#0 string %PDF- application/pdf <------comment this line

3) Dont forget to restart your webserver. (/etc/ini.t/apache2 restart or service httpd restart)

I hope it can help.
alnazmin

Return to Lemon8-XML