OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Feature Request - Uppercase and accented letters

OCS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page. While these are OJS-specific, the OCS codebase is similar enough to OJS they should be of help. There is also an [url=http://pkp.sfu.ca/ocs_documentation[/url]OCS Documentation[/url] page with some more general documentation that might also be of interest.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OCS Technical Support subforum.

Feature Request - Uppercase and accented letters

Postby georgeKapsomenos » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:41 pm

Open Conference Systems makes use of the "uppercase" CCS rule in many places...this can have a function and I personally like seeing uppercase for specific functions/links...
...however, it does cause issues with languages that use accents, such as Greek, where all-capital / uppercase words are not to be accented...e.g. while a capital letter can take an accent when it is the first one in a word (and use of capital letter is warranted), for example " Άνθρωπος" (human), when the word is for some reason in all capitals, it is not accented, so the above word would be "ΑΝΘΡΩΠΟΣ"...[especially the case when the accent is not on the first letter, like in the word "ΠΕΡΙΕΧΌΜΕΝΑ" (contents), which should be "ΠΕΡΙΕΧΟΜΕΝΑ, or "ΣΕΛΊΔΑ" (page) which should be "ΣΕΛΙΔΑ"]

The problem is, these accented letters are not taken into account and the accents of the letters transformed to capital by an uppercase command are not being removed.

I don't know if you can think of a way to have accents removed from accentuated letters transformed to capital by an uppercase rule, but a developer in a Greek Joomla forum, has created a plugin (which needs mootools to work) which does exactly this:
If a letter has an accent and is turned to capital by "uppercase", it removes the accent, while still allowing accented letters that have been written in capital letters to retain their accents...it only deals with the "uppercase" rule.

I don't know how he did it, but I do know the extension is GPL and it might provide inspiration for a solution. I have contacted the developer, but I still haven't got back news.

I could - and I have successfully tried changing the rule to "capitalize" - but I think that integrating a fix could be useful, if one is found.
Attachments
plgfixupper.zip
(1.39 KiB) Downloaded 163 times
Last edited by georgeKapsomenos on Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
georgeKapsomenos

Re: Feature Request - Uppercase and accentuated letters

Postby jmacgreg » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:39 pm

Hi George,

Thank you for pointing this out! I'll take a look and see if there's any way we could incorporate this. Please also keep us notified as to whether the developer gets back to you. I'm not sure how you fixed the problem on your end, but at the very least you can find any instance of

Code: Select all
text-transform: uppercase;

in the stylesheets, and change or remove the line.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Re: Feature Request - Uppercase and accented letters

Postby georgeKapsomenos » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:02 pm

Hi jmacgreg, thank you for your interest.

I have gotten news from the developer...not very helpful news in their own content, but encouraging as far as the task is concerned...
...what he said was that if you took a look at the plugin (written for Joomla), which I have uploaded as an attachment in my previous post, it would be clear enough what needs to be done.
I am clueless about that stuff, so there was not much point in explaining it to me anyway...maybe the plugin itself will be enough to another developer...

I have only dealt with the uppercase rule in the sidebar and the navigation bar...I located the .css files that needed to be changed with the help of Firefox + Firebug and changed "uppercase" to "capitalize"...
Attachments
plgfixupper.zip
(1.39 KiB) Downloaded 155 times
georgeKapsomenos

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:06 am

Hi George,

Thanks for keeping us posted. I'll take a look at the plugin and see if I can figure it out. And I'll try and remember this thread as well if/when it comes time to update OCS' general look/theme, as it is definitely something we will want to solve. At the moment though, your fix is a good workaround.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby libsupport » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:12 pm

Hi to all,

I've just bumped into this post while searching for a workaround for the exact same issue. Are there any news regarding the 'plugin'?
The removal of all capitalize tags is a quick-and-dirty fix, but needs to be applied to every theme and could be reverted once the appropriate css gets an update from PKP (let alone that capital letters for certain headings look better!).

Having said that, according to http://books.google.gr/books?id=Jae4vs1nqVAC&pg=PA234&lpg=PA234&source=bl&ots=NY8Btk-VXu&sig=zXlw9kQOi_LuWwk1vkoNQj4HgJ4&hl=en&ei=MvubTa-5MMbCtAbDxoDABg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=10&ved=0CFwQ6AEwCTgK#v=onepage&q&f=false allegedly the capitalize function should remove accents according to certain rules before capitalizing (at least for German/French/etc), but in practice but this is not the case. Could it be that there is a special 'hidden' rule in text-transform that applies this policy?

Best regards,
Theodoropoulos Theodoros
libsupport

Return to OCS Development