OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

implementing communication layer with another software

OCS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page. While these are OJS-specific, the OCS codebase is similar enough to OJS they should be of help. There is also an [url=http://pkp.sfu.ca/ocs_documentation[/url]OCS Documentation[/url] page with some more general documentation that might also be of interest.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OCS Technical Support subforum.

implementing communication layer with another software

Postby iluber » Wed May 14, 2008 8:36 am

Hello, I'm currently evaluating conference management systems for a project in which we will have to integrate the conference registration mechanism with an external accounting system. I have started to read the forum starting from the development guidelines, and I have seen that plugin development is possible. Before going on I would like to know from more knowledgeable forum users if it is realistic and would be cost effective trying to implement an OCS plugin able to communicate with a remote web service to send copy of new registrations to an accounting application.

What I was not able to comprehend reading the forum is if it would be easy to find and read documentation that allows to understand where to insert my code (which would be basically a web service client).

Thanks in advance to anyone has spent time reading this
iluber

Re: implementing communication layer with another software

Postby mj » Wed May 21, 2008 8:11 am

Hi iluber,

OCS has a very robust plugin mechanism which is the recommended way of extending functionality to communicate with another application. Depending on what your requirements and goals are, your best bet with OCS would be to familiarize yourself with the technical documentation, and implement the integration as a "generic"-class OCS plugin, acting as a bridge to your other accounting application. How realistic and cost-effective this is depends heavily on your development resources, the complexity of your required functionality, and what the API to your other application is like.

We are still working dilligently on improving the quality of and access to documentation, but to my knowledge we don't have a fully customized OCS technical reference yet. However, I'd refer you to the OJS technical reference (http://pkp.sfu.ca/ojs_documentation), which, although not identical, is similar enough to show you what's involved.

Hope this helps,
MJ
mj
Site Admin

Return to OCS Development