I am supporting a client OCS site hosted with PKP primariily on the design / development side of things. One area where they have found a challenge / gap with OCS is the schedule. They have a few requirements that in talking with James are above and beyond what OCS currently has implemented or he had any examples to share:
- Ability to search and sort in a calendar or table view
- Ability for attendees to indicate which presentations they plan to attend
- Let them modify and see on local PC and mobile devices
- Look reasonable when printing
- 1 Presentation can / must include more than 1 paper
My first iteration used datatables.net (download/file.php?mode=view&id=1107) but did not handle the latter requirements very well. In fact the detail that OCS is meant 1:1 paper to presentation was not discovered until this week. So I've gone back to square one and designed up a more ambitious schedule interface and am about to start developing this week.
Due to some of the time constraints and functionality, this version is going to pull the schedule data as JSON on the page using traditional templates, but rest of functionality separate. I'm still working out the finer details of how we can use Submission Types to connect papers into grouped presentations, but the rest of it will be built via:
- Backbone.js to provide MVC setup to treat it all as a single page application
- Boostrap CSS to provide easy markup structure and tweaks.
- PHP Slim for REST web services. Likely to separate DB both for dev efficiency and because registration for site was with external payment setup. If future versions of OCS support would happily sync this back into base DB.
Attached are 3 mock-ups of some of the screens I'm proposing to build:
Search By Presentation - download/file.php?mode=view&id=1108
Includes option to filter by panel and author.
The main screen users would scroll through to add presentations to their itinerary
Search By Author - download/file.php?mode=view&id=1109
Shows which presentation their paper(s) are included in and where / when.
Would also allow people to add to their itinerary
Still working through the options, but likely a compact and detailed view of presentations. Possibly a standard 3-day wide table / grid mode if the presentation titles are short or have acronymns.
The other pages to create along with these:
Search By Panel (Track in traditional OCS language)
Filter similar to author showing presentations in full
Search By Paper
Alphabetic search filters with output closer to author structure
Search By Date / Time
This would help people fill in gaps in their schedule if after selecting their preferences and/or make quick changes to know alternates happening in same time slots.
Search By Location
Presentations based on building.
This would be the last to add if needed.
Anywhere that there is a location, date/time, author, panel, etc they would all be linked over to their appropriate search screen.
If anyone has any feedback, comments or, particularly, things that I should be aware of towards the following it would be quite appreciated.