OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

How can I edit / update an abstract?

Are you a Director, Presenter, Reviewer or Conference Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OCS from an everyday user's perspective: conference managers, presenters, and directors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OCS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OCS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OCS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OCS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OCS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

How can I edit / update an abstract?

Postby BVBAccelerate » Mon May 09, 2011 1:47 pm

Hello,

I'm wondering how reviewers or directors or the authors themselves can make changes to an abstract once it has been submitted.

I've gone through and seen the ability to mark that revisions are required, and the ability to upload more files once the review process has begun, but how can the abstract just be edited or updated once it has been submitted?

The people who use this system are going to export the abstracts ultimately, so I don't understand why there wouldn't be a way to update the abstract so that that the final draft can be on the website and exported once the conference is ready to go.

Please let me know how to do this, and if this functionality has not been built in then can anyone offer any suggestions?
Last edited by BVBAccelerate on Mon May 09, 2011 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BVBAccelerate

Re: How can I make changes to a submitted abstract?

Postby BVBAccelerate » Mon May 09, 2011 2:05 pm

Hey guys, I just figured this out. I'll explain below in case anyone else has the same question:

To edit the abstract you have to either be the author, track director, or director (reviewers can not edit). Follow these steps:

If you are signed in as the author:
1. From User Home click the link leading to your active submissions.
2. Click the title of the abstract you want.
3. Under the Submission Metadata heading click Edit Metadata
4. Make any changes you want then click to Save Metadata

If you are signed in as the track director (or director):
1. From User Home click the link saying how many are in review for the track director
2. Click the title of the abstract you want.
3. Click 'Summary' right under the main heading.
4. Under the Submission Metadata heading click Edit Metadata
5. Make any changes you want then click to Save Metadata

Hope this helps someone else.
BVBAccelerate

Re: How can I edit / update an abstract?

Postby jhenderson » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:58 am

I hope I'm not missing anything obvious but when logged in as the author, as per the suggestion, I don't see any link or button for 'Edit Metadata'. The abstract has been set to 'Revisions Required'. How can an author make the necessary revisions and re-submit?

>If you are signed in as the author:
>1. From User Home click the link leading to your active submissions.
>2. Click the title of the abstract you want.
>3. Under the Submission Metadata heading click Edit Metadata
>4. Make any changes you want then click to Save Metadata

Thanks for your help.
jhenderson

Postby BVBAccelerate » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:32 am

What version are you on? I just upgraded to 2.3.5.0.

I followed my instructions to look at the paper and I still saw the link. Perhaps you have a different template or some changes have been made to yours. I've attached a screenshot of two screens in the steps I outlined below.

The top part shows that the abstract is set to revisions required and the bottomr part shows the link to edit metadata. I'm not sure if the breadcrumbs at the top help at all.

Untitled-2.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg (321.03 KiB) Viewed 2784 times

You don't see the same thing?
BVBAccelerate

Postby jhenderson » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:51 am

No, there's nothing between the Submission Metadata heading and the Authors heading:

metadata.jpg
metadata.jpg (14.48 KiB) Viewed 2774 times
Last edited by jhenderson on Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhenderson

Postby BVBAccelerate » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:27 am

That's strange. I can't see your picture. Have you looked into the template file to see if the link is there under any circumstance?
BVBAccelerate

Postby jhenderson » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:18 pm

Thanks for your help.

I found the solution in another posting. (Another case for me of working out how to describe the problem in order to find an answer!)

http://pkp.sfu.ca/support/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7877&p=34327&hilit=submission+type#p34398

I'll paraphrase the story here so that it might be more findable for others with the same problem.

As soon as a TD assigns a reviewer (& before even sending the review request to them), the author can no longer see the Edit Metadata link.

The author's Edit Metadata link remains hidden until ALL reviewers have completed their side of the process one way or another. If the decision then is Revisions Required, then the author can once again see the Edit Metadata link and can therefore edit their abstract.

My 'mistake' in testing the system was in not waiting for the test reviewer to finish up before I selected the decision - and hence not Edit Metadata link for the test author.

The solution in this situation is for the TD to cancel any uncompleted reviewer assignments, then the author can once again see the Edit Metadata link (assuming the decision is Revisions Required).
jhenderson

Postby BVBAccelerate » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:11 am

Glad you got it solved! This very well could've been a scenario we ran into and been stumped on so I'll remember this. Thanks!
BVBAccelerate

Return to OCS Conference Support and Discussion