OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Formatting on EMail Log page for Submissions

Are you a Director, Presenter, Reviewer or Conference Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OCS from an everyday user's perspective: conference managers, presenters, and directors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OCS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OCS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OCS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OCS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OCS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Formatting on EMail Log page for Submissions

Postby RickMath » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:45 pm

Hi :D

On the EMail Log page for submissions there seems to be a column on the right which is cut off. Is there a way to get this columns to fully display. This is the page that is displayed when I click on HISTORY for a submission. It is to the right of the Subject column.

Do I need to make changes in common.css or some other style sheet to correct this?

Thanks as always for your help. I am running OCS 2.1.2

Rick
RickMath

Re: Formatting on EMail Log page for Submissions

Postby RickMath » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:30 pm

There is still a problem with this. Please advise.

Rick :D
RickMath

Postby mcrider » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:54 pm

Hi Rick,

This is likely a problem with the CSS and the fact that you are using a smaller screen/window size. There is a fix over here: http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=3843.

NB we're working on making our CSS much better than it is at the moment :)

Cheers,
Matt
mcrider

Postby RickMath » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:49 am

Matt

I went to the common.css file. Here is what I found.

/**
* Scheduler styles
*/
.scrollContainer {
overflow: auto;
}

Don't know if this is the right place.

We are running 2.1.2

I have my display set at 1024x768 and text size in IE7 set at Medium. Could it be that the width of the right sidebar be slightly narrowed. If so I can try that if you tell me where to go in the css files. I can send you a screen shot if that would help.

Thanks for your help.

RickMath

Postby mcrider » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:38 pm

Hi Rick,

You could either apply the batch linked to in the bug report, or modify the #main element in the /styles/bothSidebars.css, /styles/leftSidebar.css and /styles/rightSidebar.css, changing overflow: hidden; to overflow: auto;. Let me know if that doesn't fix it..

Cheers,
Matt
mcrider

Postby RickMath » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:31 pm

Matt

Those added both horizontal and vertical scroll bars. They allow the right side to be viewed. Problem is that the vertical scrollbar takes up some space that could be used to display the hidden right side on some screens.

I think I would prefer to narrow the right sidebar and widen the center. I tried reducing the width of the right sidebar and it got narrower. I could not however find a way to widen the center section. Changing the left sidebar had no effect as we are not using that.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Have a great day! :D

Rick
RickMath

Postby RickMath » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:07 pm

This seems to also be a problem on the submissions page. Is there some way to widen the center page section or reformat it to narrow some of the columns.

We are running 2.1.2

Thanks. Hopefully there are some fixes to the css file that make this happen.

As always the PKP is great.

RickMath

Postby mcrider » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:51 am

Hi Rick,

While its possible to edit the CSS for these elements of the page, there is an issue with the latest iterations of OJS/OCS/Harvester where the CSS is rather 'brittle', and modifying the widths of one container can break the whole layout of the page. Therefore, any modifications you make are at your own risk, and would require some experimentation. I would suggest getting to know FireBug (if you haven't already), a Firefox plugin that is great for testing CSS modifications.

FYI, the vertical scroll bar should not show, but IE 7 (and other IEs) have a bug that always shows the vertical scroll bar if the horizontal scroll bar is shown. You can add with the previous code you added this CSS statement to hide the vertical scroll bar: overflow-y: hidden;.

Cheers,
Matt
mcrider

Postby RickMath » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:23 pm

Matt

What seems to work the best is overflow-x: scroll; in all three sidebar css files. This also works in Firefox.

The overflow: auto; approach did not work at all in Firefox and added a vertical scroll bar in ie7 which is not needed.

The above eliminated the vertical scroll bar and placed the horizontal scroll bar at the bottom of the page. The pages were the second page of the Submissions and the History pages of each submission.

I think there is a formating bug that needs to be addressed on this. Our standard install of OCS 2.1.2 had not been modified prior to this problem occuring.

Just thought I would let you know in case others run into the same problems.

As always thanks to the PKP team for helping us all to address our problems and issues.

:D Have a GREAT weekend.

Rick
RickMath

Return to OCS Conference Support and Discussion