OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Plain Text Program: Size restricted?

Are you a Director, Presenter, Reviewer or Conference Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OCS from an everyday user's perspective: conference managers, presenters, and directors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OCS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OCS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OCS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OCS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OCS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Plain Text Program: Size restricted?

Postby Achim » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:56 am

Hello,

I copied text into the field for the "Plain Text Program". But only the upper part is shown.
The size of the text as HTML is 146 KB. Only approx. 64 KB are shown.

Is there a size limit which can be adjusted? I didn't find anything?
Or did I miss something else?

Cheers,
Achim
Achim

Re: Plain Text Program: Size restricted?

Postby asmecher » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:14 am

Hi Achim,

What release of OCS are you using?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby Achim » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:52 am

Hi Alec,

The OCS release is 2.3.4.0.

Sorry about the slow response. I was busy on a workshop.

Cheers,
Achim
Achim

Postby asmecher » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:50 pm

Hi Achim,

The limitation is in MySQL's "TEXT" data type, which is used for the relevant column ('setting_value' in the 'sched_conf_settings' table). That type stores up to 64KB.

If you change the data type to LONGTEXT, you'll get up to 4GB, which "ought to be enough for anyone" -- use the following query for that:
Code: Select all
ALTER TABLE sched_conf_settings CHANGE COLUMN setting_value setting_value LONGTEXT;
I haven't tested this, so please back up your database before you start and give your site a quick explore to make sure there aren't unexpected ramifications.

FYI, next time you run an upgrade, the database schema sync will see the LONGTEXT column and attempt to turn it back into a TEXT column, in keeping with the database descriptor (dbscripts/xml/ocs_schema.xml); in order to prevent that from happening, change the type of the column in that descriptor from "X" to "XL".

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby Achim » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:41 am

Hi Alec,

Thank you for the detailed answer. This is helpful.

Cheers,
Achim
Achim

Return to OCS Conference Support and Discussion