OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Documentation translations

General inquiries about the PKP.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, vgabler, barbarah, John

Forum rules
Feel free to post general inquiries about the PKP Here. We'll also post notes of interest from time to time. You may also want to check out the PKP blog.

Documentation translations

Postby ramon » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:14 am

Hello all,
I've taken on the translation of the OJS Guide, using XMLMind Editor and downloading from the Git Repository the XML files.
I hope I'll be able to translate the Technical Reference, as well as OCS and, in the future, OMP and OHS documentation.
I'll list here my questions about the process, so other may benefit from it.
I'm not sure, but it seemed the most adequate forum for it.
Here they go [the questions]:
  1. About locale support:
    1. As mentioned in a Skype call, I shouldn't worry about changing the images to reflect the translation as this would be time consuming, as well as require access to examples [which wouldn't be a great issue in my case]. But, since it's XML, couldn't there be a language parameter that could be used so it would use images from a locale-specific folder?
  2. Translation issues
    1. I've come across what seems to be a comment in the file [looking at the XML structure without the XSL transformation], at the Language Administration section. What should I do with it, which means, what should I translate from [and any other that may show up]:
      Code: Select all
      Users will then be able to choose the locale from the drop-down <!-- LINK HERE language menu --> on the right sidebar on all general site pages; Journal Managers will also now have the option of <!-- LINK HERE enabling locales --> for their journal (these locales will not be enabled at the journal level by default). to users on the site, check the box next to...

I'll keep updating the post as I go along.
ramon

Re: Documentation translations

Postby jmacgreg » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:40 pm

Hi Ramón,

Great to hear that you are starting this! As I believe we discussed via Skype, it was me who converted the documentation to Docbook, so I'm probably best suited to answer your questions:

About locale support:
As mentioned in a Skype call, I shouldn't worry about changing the images to reflect the translation as this would be time consuming, as well as require access to examples [which wouldn't be a great issue in my case]. But, since it's XML, couldn't there be a language parameter that could be used so it would use images from a locale-specific folder?

I don't have a set answer to this question, and I'm happy to discuss possibilities to come up with the best solution. Until now I just assumed that any new translation would live in its own directory, complete with images (or not) ... something like:

Code: Select all
userguide/
   2.3.3/
      common/ <-- common elements (logos etc.)
      locale/
         en_US/
            userguide.xml
            figures/
               fig1.png
               fig2.png
               ... etc.
         pt_BR/
            userguide.xml
            figures/ <-- with this directory possibly just symlinked to the en_US dir, if empty
               fig1.png
               fig2.png
               ... etc.

Of course, it isn't set up this way yet on our server, but it wouldn't be difficult to do going forward. I think I like the notion of having all locale-specific content, including the XML file and images (if they exist) living in its own directory -- they would be much more portable that way. Any thoughts?

Translation issues
I've come across what seems to be a comment in the file [looking at the XML structure without the XSL transformation], at the Language Administration section. What should I do with it, which means, what should I translate from [and any other that may show up]:
CODE: SELECT ALL
Users will then be able to choose the locale from the drop-down <!-- LINK HERE language menu --> on the right sidebar on all general site pages; Journal Managers will also now have the option of <!-- LINK HERE enabling locales --> for their journal (these locales will not be enabled at the journal level by default). to users on the site, check the box next to...

Oops -- those are comments to myself that I should have picked up but didn't. I'll ensure they are fixed in the next version. Probably the best thing to do for now is to just remove the comment tags and the "LINK HERE" text, so that the text that is commented out is displayed. Thanks for the catch!

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to General Discussion