OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Video publishing in OxS

General inquiries about the PKP.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, vgabler, barbarah, John

Forum rules
Feel free to post general inquiries about the PKP Here. We'll also post notes of interest from time to time. You may also want to check out the PKP blog.

Video publishing in OxS

Postby ramon » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:48 am

Hello all,
I need to publish the video footage of recorded over a period of 4 days for 3 conferences that we held.
They are comprised of 18 DVDs (all footage is in DVD format, which will have to be encoded for Web).
I looked at the II PKP Conference and was planning to use the same video player, JW Player.
However, I have questions about the encoding format.
I'm using AnyVideo Converter to encode the DVDs, which converts to SWF, FLV, MPEG 4, AVI, MKV, WMV, and a couple of others (except Quicktime, apparently).
The FLV format is the smallest file size, while audio sync is good. However, video quality is poor, specially on full screen, and video size on screen is best with 320x240.
I've tried a couple of configurations with MPEG-4, but audio sync is poor, for frame rate/bit rate of 25/512. Video quality varies according to file and screen sizes chosen, and file size is over 12MB for a bit over 30min of video + audio. If audio codec is not AAC, audio is not encoded with video.
I tried x264, which seems to be MPEG, but couldn't play it with Media Player Classic (probably missing codec), which makes me wonder if people will have trouble with it if used.

Any suggestions on encoding format, bit rate, frame size, frame rate, audio codec, audio bit rate, sample rate, A/V sync?
I believe it's possible to offer multiple versions of the video with JW Player. Am I correct?
Should I use VIMEO or some other video streaming/hosting service instead?
Any reason why PKP chose to publish in FLV format? Full screen quality is not great, although I may be wishing for too much for Web video...
ramon

Re: Video publishing in OxS

Postby kstranac » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:14 am

Hi Ramon,

We used FLV for the PKP conference because of the small file size. We were willing to trade some picture quality to ensure maximum accessibility.

I can't comment on the various encoding options, as I just selected the defaults for generating the FLV files and was satisfied with that. Other forum members may have some experience with this and be able to offer their suggestions.
kstranac
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion