OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Registering #PKP IRC Channel

General inquiries about the PKP.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, vgabler, barbarah, John

Forum rules
Feel free to post general inquiries about the PKP Here. We'll also post notes of interest from time to time. You may also want to check out the PKP blog.

Registering #PKP IRC Channel

Postby spatialguru » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:13 am

I'm one of those guys who is always online and using IRC for real-time communications. I would like to help start and use one for PKP projects. It might start slowly but could be an invaluable tool for answering simple questions or just for meeting fellow users.

Has the PKP team discussed this already? Would you be willing to let me register the PKP "group" on Freenode so we can create #PKP channel there? Once a group registration is complete we can also make related channels like pkp-ojs , pkp-harvester... etc. if so desired.

At the moment the #pkp channel was owned by someone else who has since evaporated so it's being held in trust waiting for new owners to step forward. Can I do that for you? I'm already doing it for other projects that our organisation manages.
spatialguru

Re: Registering #PKP IRC Channel

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:15 pm

Hey Tyler,

We haven't discussed operating an IRC channel, and unfortunately our time right now is stretched as it is, so operating one with the team we currently have would be difficult. That said, I'm sure that some team members would be happy to participate in one if it existed, and we really appreciate your offer to set it up! I say go for it, keep us in the loop on how it's going, and also keep the forum up-to-date. You can let me know directly when it's set up, and I can add a blog post about it and relevant links to support pages as well. This sounds great!

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby spatialguru » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:03 pm

Thanks James, will do. I've submitted a group registration form to the freenode.net managers. If all goes well, we should be able to have a #pkp channel (where I'll start hanging out now anyway), plus optionally, #pkp-ojs, #pkp-ocs, etc. as desired.

I'll keep you updated as things progress.
spatialguru

Postby mj » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:56 am

Hi all,

Just wanted to add that I think this is a great idea (especially now that Adium has IRC support). I'll be hanging out in the channel when I'm online as well.

MJ
mj
Site Admin

IT'S ALIVE: #PKP IRC Channel

Postby spatialguru » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:46 pm

Thanks to the freenode.net administrators, and help of PKP admins, I've now taken over control of the #PKP channel on irc.freenode.net. It's now dedicated to PKP.sfu.ca projects and support. We also have the option to run sub channels: pkp-ojs, pkp-ocs etc if needed in the future. But for now I suspect one channel is more than enough :)

Any IRC bot gurus are welcome to test our their wares on the channel of course. And I can help give superuser rights to any PKP admins that show up.

See you there!
spatialguru

Postby crlsgms » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:10 pm

Hello everyone!

Im a freenode user from a long time, but not much people hang arround the #pkp channel. ill keep up in there, ill wait for TylerM to go there so we can chat about the bots implementation.
crlsgms

Postby Kivutar » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:46 am

Hi all!

This chan is a very good idea. Every free sofware have a support irc chan, even smallest ones.

Today, me and one of my co-worker added #pkp to our auto-join list. We can provide some support (at our level).

Please reconsider joining this chan, even with no time to reply. An IRC chan without the developpers on it is dead-born.
Kivutar

Return to General Discussion