OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

LDAP / Shibboleth Login system

General inquiries about the PKP.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, vgabler, barbarah, John

Forum rules
Feel free to post general inquiries about the PKP Here. We'll also post notes of interest from time to time. You may also want to check out the PKP blog.

LDAP / Shibboleth Login system

Postby jamief » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:24 am

There are posts throughout the PKP forum about using a LDAP server (or Shibboleth) to handle, for example, integration of OCS/OJS with Joomla. In the majority of cases, the interest lies in running OCS/OJS platform "underneath" a joomla installation. This is what I have been looking for as well, although have yet to discover a solution. Definately ONE of the solutions will entail a single sign on (LDAP/SHIBBOLETH). But what I understand is that these software packages both require installation on the server, which supposes I run my own server and have physical access to it.

In my case, I have long given up running my own server, and am happy to leave that to the professionals. So, if I don't have a chance of installing LDAP or SHIBBOLETH - what are my options?

One work around might be for me to mount an LDAP SERVER on a remote host where I do have access to a clean UBUNTO linux installation (This is the case with Gandi Hosting services, which allow you to physically build servers.

If I build a server dedicated to one of these two LDAP solutions, am I going to suffer in performance doing all my login authentication on a remote server some distance from the physical place where the web hosting is going to be?

Anyone encountered interesting workarounds for integrating, or at least working side by side, a CMS (like joomla, drupal, magenta) with OCS/OJS?

All the best,

Jamie
jamief

Return to General Discussion